How do I get rid of the NEW tag on the MS Teams icon? (OS X / Mac)

Anonymous
2023-10-18T17:05:08+00:00

I've just installed the new "Teams (for school /work)" (which is a really ugly application name, but I digress).

The icon has this big blue "NEW" graphic on it. It did not go away after opening and closing a few times. How do I remove it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T10:30:15+00:00

I think the Microsoft software team have now lost it completely. I now have outlook and teams icons in my taskbar, complete with the "new" label written on them, plus my old icons to the older versions. Complete mess.

When will they remove the "new" label? Maybe the next version will have a "newer" label.

Plus the new icon not showing status is a real downgrade.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:23:35+00:00

Select "Microsoft Teams classic.app" in Finder->Get Info, Copy icon.

Select "Microsoft Teams (work or school).app" in Finder->Get Info, Paste icon.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-13T15:23:48+00:00

    I have been asked three times today whether I want to try the "NEW" version. I now get a dialog box that asks if I want to upgrade now or later, no option given for "no".

    The new version now shows status on the icon, but not the number of missed messages/calls, and it still has the daft "NEW" title on the icon. It took me two attempts to get back to the good old version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-08T21:55:56+00:00

    My solution was:

    • Download this replacement logo: https://imgur.com/pWoIdFN
    • Then in Finder -> Applications, Right click 'Microsoft Teams (work or school)' and select 'Get Info'
    • Drag and drop the new icon image on top of the small icon in the top right.

    To make the replacement logo I did this:

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-14T07:35:40+00:00

    The location for the images to replace are in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_23285.3604.2469.4152_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Images

    However there are 82 different icons (for different scaling) that need to be replaced.

    So dumb.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments