Teams chat no longer works for my organization on Android phones

Anonymous
2023-10-03T18:52:15+00:00

I'm an admin for my organization, and over the past few days I've been getting a lot of support complaints about Teams chat not working on Android phones. As of last week, it was working for me, so I suspected it was a phone specific problem. However, when I first opened the app today I noticed that all my chats and functionality suddenly disappeared. The only option available in the teams app seems to be calling.

I checked the org policies, and everything is correct. This looks to be a bug on the latest version of the app.

I managed to get to "activities" by trying to save a photo to the teams app, and when I bring this up it says "Administrator has disabled chat for this user." I'm the admin, and I certainly didn't do this. All policies under messaging allow for chat.

Please help!

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-07T23:17:39+00:00

    Hi Jonathan,

    If you read up a bit further in this forum thread. The issue lies with the Microsoft Teams Shared Device license.

    You will need to remove this license in order to use the other functions of Teams on Android Devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-13T11:34:08+00:00

    Hi Guys,

    Finally, I found the temp solution.

    In my case - It appears that the problem was caused by licenses.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-13T16:30:55+00:00

    "Are you using a Microsoft Teams Shared Device license?"

    yes we do.

    however MS Teams App is not used from this licence - only the one from the business premium .

    but I think I know what you mean now : it could be the right direction for this issue afterall

    thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-05T04:51:54+00:00

    If it is any consolation, we have had this issue within our organisation for a month now. Only a couple of users at first but in the last week it has affected majority of the Android users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-04T23:01:07+00:00

    Just fixed it!! My org can use chat again. Was able to downgrade to prior version via this link: https://teams.en.uptodown.com/android/download/106890129

    Thanks, Austin.

    My org uses Intune to deploy all Microsoft apps. So Is it possible to downgrade ? Please advise me

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments