Force New Teams to open in Chat view, not Teams

Anonymous
2023-12-27T14:32:02+00:00

Old Teams would open up on the Chat view panel whenever I started it.

New Teams always opens in the Teams view panel when i start it.

I can find no setting to pick which view panel should open when the program is started.

To be clear, I do have the program set to keep running, and when i open it from the dock, it will open in whatever the last view i had open was. The problem is on fresh starts of the program, I can't force it to always start in the Chat view.

Is there a registry change or something that can be made to force the program to always open in the Chat view (or to set any view as default for that matter)?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T15:35:06+00:00

    Changing it to 1 did exactly what I wanted, but because I work in a controlled environment (work) a reboot wiped out my change. I've asked our I.T. department if they could have it changed, and they said they couldn't. Typical. The answer is always "no" or "it can't be done."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T14:41:31+00:00

    If it was part of the Classic TEAMS, it should be part of the NEW Teams. My department (and probably my institution) utilizes the CHAT feature more than messaging in Teams, unless is it project related. I like when Teams opens each time where I left off when it was last closed. This seems like it would be a standard feature, yet here we are, almost 8 months later, and no update. Not even a information of where it might be in the project timeline.

    Taking features away is never a good thing.

    Sandi

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T14:15:53+00:00

    So I am hearing a consensus here that everyone uses it for a different main purpose and so Microsoft needs to add an auto-open option for where to be when starting up teams. I prefer Chats, some want Channels, and others would like Calls. Get on it Microsoft! :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T21:47:23+00:00

    Hi. I would also like a setting to determine what window "new Teams" opens up to. I would like mine to open up to the Chat, but it doesn't, it opens up to Teams. It would be great to have the option to choose.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T20:38:46+00:00

    I'm still using the old Teams (having switched back because of the exact problem reported by the OP here), and I just checked Settings -> General. I don't see any such setting. Can you clarify what it was called, or the like, in case I'm just missing it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments