Teams meeting recording is owned by the first person who joins the call, NOT the meeting organizer. Bug?

Anonymous
2023-04-13T23:58:35+00:00

Hello,

I have a recurring meeting in which I am the meeting organizer. Recently, I enabled the "Automatically Record" option since I'm not able to attend the meetings live. These recordings are posting directly to the non-channel meeting chat, but I'm not able to remove them from the chat. When I go to the location of the recording, its address is on a personal drive of one of my colleagues (whoever joined first).

Shouldn't I/the organizers be the only ones who own the recording? Why does it default to the first person on the call?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Record meetings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T21:02:25+00:00

    here is a tip that only work if you are certain you will attend the meeting,
    change the lobby behaviour. Change Who can bypass the lobby to ‘Only me’. All attendees will wait in a lobby till you join the meeting and admit everyone from the lobby. The meeting will start recording automatically from the time that you join. The meeting recording will then be saved into your OneDrive.

    If I change the "bypass the lobby" to Only Me, then I have to monitor and admit all attendees - even those that are late to the meeting. It adds an additional layer of administration that I would rather avoid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T09:54:58+00:00

    Thank you for the info, do you know if there is a setting to revert to the old behaviour?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T06:48:53+00:00

    Currently the feedback website is offline for me.

    Does someone know if MSFT implemented/rolled out this "Feature" around 11.June.2024?
    Is there any way to change this behaviour?

    We have multiple users who create meetigns for other users, but since 11.June the recording does not get saved with the user who started the recording, but with the organizer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T22:44:10+00:00

    Hi ChristinaN15,

    I am Amro, an independent advisor here to assist you.

    Please note that for private Teams meetings, the first person to join the meeting will automatically start the recording if they are from the organisation hosting the meeting. They become the owner of the recording. It is stored in their OneDrive.

    For channel Teams meetings, the first person to join still automatically starts the recording. But the recording file is stored in the channel under Files > Recordings. Team owners have full permission. Team members have edit permission.

    I hope this answers your question, please don't hesitate to reply if you need any further Assistance
    Best Regards.

    Hi ChristinaN15,

    I usually have the recording setup to record when we have interviews. Does the interviewee have access to these recordings? I only want the host and co-organizer to have access not the person we are interviewing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T17:36:02+00:00

    This is a good workaround, but not always feasable. Especially when you have multiple meetings (training) going on during a D365 implementation! You can't make people wait that long in the lobby. Microsoft needs to fix this. Zoom can do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments