Mac Authentication Error Starting 8/7/2024

Anonymous
2024-08-12T19:22:40+00:00

UPDATE: I was forced to clear my OS and start over. Recovering from Time Machine brought over too many support files even when being picky. I have re-installed Teams from an old installer in a previous Time Machine entry and I am able to log in. This may not last though. This was obviously extreme and I hope you all do not have to do the same.

Teams for Mac recently updated and totally broke the functionality of Teams. I do not have connectivity to my work account at all. I had deleted all Teams file on 8/8 and reinstalled the Teams Classic which worked well. I came back to my computer later that afternoon and the new Teams had reinstalled itself. I went out of office until today and I have a repear error of "We couldn't authenticate you. This could be due to a device or network problem, or Teams could be experiencing a technical issue."

This is a Teams technical issue due to the repetitive error and my ability to sign in via iOS and web with the same credtentials on the same network, and in once case, the same machine.

Teams version 24193.1708.3043.1759

Client version 50/24071128823

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Teams for Mac

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T18:32:30+00:00

    Private messaging does nothing to help the community. There are at least 20 people with the same issue. It makes the most sense to address this publicly and save Microsoft a series of tech support requests. I've got a user experiencing the same issue. Please advise with a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-15T13:39:18+00:00

    We have a Mac user that is also experiencing the same issue on just the Team desktop app.

    They said it started at the end of July.

    They have cleared the cached, reinstalled Teams (version 24180.211.3017.6653), upgraded to latest OS on Mac, but they are still getting the same error message for the desktop app. "We couldn't authenticate you. This could be due to a device or network problem, or Teams could be experiencing a technical issue."

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T20:12:48+00:00

    For the record, the private message had all of the basic troubleshooting and they never responded when I said none of it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T16:29:40+00:00

    Hello,

    I have the exact same issue on my Mac, which started around the same timeline shared in this thread (end of July).

    I tried all the steps suggested above, including the following:

    1. Tried in other clients (Android, Web) --> Works well in those, with no issue
    2. Cleared the Teams cache on my Mac, twice --> faced the issue again
    3. All other Microsoft apps work well (Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, etc). The issue is isolated to Teams
      1. In fact, even when facing the issue, Teams is the only app I need to sign-in for again. All other Microsoft apps keep working fine
    4. I deleted the app altogether, and reinstalled it from scratch. Still face the issue, unfortunately

    Are there any other suggestions to try?

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T17:20:45+00:00

    I just installed Parallels and Windowss and it works. It's crazy to me that the Microsoft provided software can't authenticate my Microsoft based login. This whole thing is now costing me money.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments