Keyboard Back and Forward Arrow Keys Not Working in Chat

Anonymous
2021-11-18T19:29:31+00:00

When I am typing in the message/chat window and I want to go back using the arrow keys on my keyboard it doesn't work. The cursor doesn't move at all. I have to use the mouse to move the cursor. I am running Teams on Windows 11 22000.318, Teams version 1.4.00.29469 (64-bit).

On a side note, I have also noticed that typing the three ` no longer puts me into Code Snippet mode.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Chats | Group chats

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-07T12:15:39+00:00

    I wonder if the fact that this issue has survived so many updates and has persisted for so long is somehow evidence that Microsoft doesn't actually use Teams for their own internal chat? How would the developers cope with this kind of bug? Don't most or all developers, as power users, use arrow keys to navigate code to prevent having to stop, find the mouse, find the mouse cursor, select the correct location very carefully, and then find the home-row keys again? I think this might be evidence of that. Just a thought.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-02T15:19:47+00:00

    It has been over a year, and this is a verified issue with Teams. This is verified because I see the exact same issue running Teams in any browser in Linux, as well as the Desktop App in Windows. I have had users reporting that they see the same behaviour in MacOS as well.

    In the browser, if I just refresh the entire page it starts working again, but sometimes have to close the browser and open it again. In the Desktop app quitting the app may help. Unfortunately, when I'm hosting a 3hrs long meeting with tens of people I can't really do any of that anyways during the meeting, can I?

    This is one of those things that Microsoft will not address. Ultimately because they allocate resources where the company is expected to make money. Teams is only growing and they are not losing customers over this, so they won't have their employees chasing after a "small" problem like this. I have been personally victimized by Microsoft support several times in the past 4 years, so unfortunately I do not trust them in any capacity to care at all. You are not going to see a fix for this until this is fixed by accident, or somehow it affects their politics or bottom line.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-10T17:37:26+00:00

    05/10 Moving the caret with arrow keys is broken unless using ctrl or shift modifiers.
    Extra info: ctrl + arrow keys, shift + arrow keys do work skipping whole words or selecting individual words

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-05T08:29:29+00:00

    This is still an issue in May 2022. "Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.9163 (64-bit). It was last updated on 21.04.2022.".

    Are there any plans to support this feature?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-04-21T15:39:09+00:00

    I get the same very frustrating intermittent problem. If I CTRL allow then Teams chat will just a word at a time. Teams is the problem here. Some memory leak or perhaps its the auto-complete or something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments