Microsoft Teams Says There's No Connection - There Is

Anonymous
2020-04-14T15:41:31+00:00

I have an internet connection on my laptop. I can access my email, web pages, and this site.

However, when I click on Microsoft Teams it says "We couldn't connect to the internet. Try checking your connect."

There is also an error message: 

"desktop-0d71a186-8118-4720-b394-b0098d0c8298

Error code - online_check_failed exceeded retry attempts

Failed to connect to settings endpoint."

I have tried troubleshooting and added Teams to my firewall (per other directions). When I first installed it, it did ask for my logon. I had to get a new one from my office. Now I cannot get back to that page at all.

Any suggestions for getting Teams to start when I clearly have internet access.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-17T15:06:16+00:00

    @microsoft

    Clearly, anyone who is not inept can see that this issue is systemic & has been going on for quite some time.

    The response is always that the user's internet or installation/etc. is to blame, yet a solution is never found no matter how many hoops support has their customers jump through (they should be renamed to the 'customer gaslighting, smokescreening, & blame-shifting department'.

    For shame Microsoft, for shame.

    This is obviously not due to user action or installation & it is clearly the result of incompetent programming & 'support'.

    Get your $hit together, people use this for work & are getting pissed tf off dealing with this same issue for months/years with no resolution.

    I for one have a worse taste in my mouth for microsoft than I have ever had, & that is saying a lot because you buffoons release a lot of crappy software.

    If it were not for ecosystem support forcing individuals & businesses to use Windows, microsoft would have been left in the dustbin where it belongs long, long ago.

    Fix this $hit product please.

    /rant

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-21T10:53:30+00:00

    I have the same issue. I am on a MacBook Pro, running Teams desktop app. I can't tell you what version because the "About Microsoft Teams" doesn't work. Your developers should be reprimanded for poor work. But I believe it to be the current version. 

    I am writing this on the same laptop. Clearly I don't have a network issue. The firewall is OFF, and has been off the whole time. I have NO connectivity issues with anything else. The app used to work until a recent "upgrade". The text says to try "signing out" and back in. The link does not work. The Restart button does, sort of, but it doesn't solve the problem.

    And yes, I can access Teams via a web browser (Edge).

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T02:52:38+00:00

    Hi J,

    Thank you for the post.

    To isolate this issue, we would like you to first log in at the http://teams.microsoft.com/ to see if you can access it.

    You may also attempt to test if you disable windows Firewall:

    1. Click onStart and select Settings.
    2. Click on Update and Security.
    3. From the left pane click on “Windows Security”.
    4. Open the “Firewall and Network Protection” option.
    5. Click on your currently active network.
    6. Toggle the switch to turn off the Firewall.

    If you still cannot access through the website Teams, please let me know, we will further investigate it if it is the service issue.

    In addition, disable the third party antivirus may also help.

    Kind Regards,

    George

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-09T14:19:58+00:00

    I had the same issue. 

    Somehow when logging in Teams asked for my email address, then the next step, which usually is to fill in the password, was skipped and immediatley the error showed up about not being able to connect.

    How I solved it:

    • Quit Teams,
    • Log in with other valid credentials from a different organisation. Wait for app to completely load
    • Then log out from those credentials, it will ask for the password after filling in the email address.
    • Try the proper credentials, and voila! Worked for me!

    So somehow the session got stuck and logging in with another email account flushed those settings after which I could normally log in.

    Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2020-04-14T17:31:34+00:00

    Try access Microsoft Teams through web and check if you are facing the same issue?

    Take a look at:

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/connectivity-issues 

    Try sign out and sign in to Microsoft Teams client.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments