The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-14T04:04:19+00:00

    So I just did this fix, couple of findings

    The command for removing "Microsoft.Windows.Movies & TV" got a parsing error on the ampersand - I tried a few variations "&" and ("&") - but these tokens also got parse error

    So went on the net and found this command for removing Movies & TV

    "Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage"

    This worked

    Install from Microsoft Store was easy, install dates on the Photos and Movies & TV were updated to 1/13/2022, so this worked

    The command to re-install also worked, however there were many messages about not being able to update, for example, sometimes "newer" version were already installed

    > Type: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    So I think it may be helpful to update the instructions for removing Movies & TV

    Also, you may want to add a note to take a few restore points before doing this

    Lastly, I've seen that there are "Win 11" versions of the Photos app? I could not tell from the download info if I was just re-installing the Win 10 version

    So we'll see if the error re-emerges, usually happens in a week or so...

    Thanks for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-13T15:00:55+00:00

    Thanks for replying - I'm seeing the same behavior, after "fixing" the error it eventually happens again - this is only happening on my Win 11 install - I still have an "old" desktop running Win 10 where this error has never happened 

    FYI - I did some testing with various apps on my Win 11, here is what I found:

    ==============================================

    PICTURES with extensions .jpeg, .jpg, .HEIC

    App: "Photos"

    Result: Error - Specified procedure could not be found

    Apps: "Paint" and "Adobe Photoshop"

    Result: Successful Display

    =============================================

    VIDEO with extensions .mp4, .MOV

    App: "Movies & TV"

    Result: Error - Specified procedure could not be found

    App: "Windows Media Player"

    Result: Successful Playback

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-08T02:27:07+00:00

    Hi jmwatt1234,

    Methods to uninstall and redeploy these apps could be tried:

    1. Uninstall apps:
    • Press and hold Windows + X and open Windows PowerShell (Administrator) > Type: get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage > Hit Enter to run the command to uninstall Photos app.
    • Press and hold Windows + X and open Windows PowerShell (Administrator) > Type: get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Movies & TV* | remove-appxpackage > Hit Enter to run the command to uninstall Movies & TV app.

    Download apps from Microsoft Store to see the result.

    1. Press and hold Windows + X and open Windows PowerShell (Administrator) > Type: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} > Press Enter to run this command to redeploy all built-in apps of Windows.

    Feel free to let me know if any update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-08T00:31:38+00:00

    Hi Lynn--

    So the error re-occurred. Here are some test results.

    ==============================================

    PICTURES with extensions .jpeg, .jpg, .HEIC

    App: "Photos"

    Result: Error - Specified procedure could not be found

    Apps: "Paint" and "Adobe Photoshop"

    Result: Successful Display

    =============================================

    VIDEO with extensions .mp4, .MOV

    App: "Movies & TV"

    Result: Error - Specified procedure could not be found

    App: "Windows Media Player"

    Result: Successful Playback

    So what would be the best way to "fix" "Photos" and "Movies & TV" ?

    Is there a way to just re-install these apps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T19:46:13+00:00

    I normally use "Photos" app - the icon with the "blue mountain like" image

    I also have photo shop elements installed - I'll use the photo shop app for the next few weeks to see if issue re-occurs

    My PC has 200+ GB free space and I have always installed with default folders

    So I understand your reply to mean that if the error does re-occur using the Photo Shop app then I should try the "in-place" update - right?

    Thank You for all of your assistance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments