The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-03T20:23:25+00:00

    Agree - after exhausting all fixes I think the most likely root cause is some subtle bug in Win11 - this error continues to appear from time to time on my Desktop (Dell XPS) - and then just seems to "resolve" itself

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-05T21:23:12+00:00

    Thanks mickey2002! That worked for .JPGs for me. Didn't help with videos though. I ended the "Movies & TV" task and was able to open videos again. I'm assuming these are temp fixes I'll have to re-do periodically until Microsoft gets around to fixing this bug!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-04-29T07:56:49+00:00

    The error comes and goes a bug in Microsoft's New movie app. Simple restart pf explorer or laptop. Till that bug gets fixed I have switched over to vlc player till the bugs get fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T05:51:44+00:00

    jmwatt1234,

    May I know what softwares you used to open the .jpeg file and .mp4 file. Try to change another ones to access to see the effect. If this error appears once again. That tells us the Windows get damaged.

    You may then try to perform an in-place update on your system to upgrade/repair the system (this is a non-destructive repair of the system, which is different from reinstalling the system. Normally, installed applications remain the same and update the system to the latest version.)

    1. Click here to download the installation media.
    2. After the creation tool is created, go to Settings > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. (it is recommended to back up important data to avoid data loss)

    Note:

    • Your system disk may require 15-20G of free space (similar to upgrading to Windows 10)
    • If the system is installed in an unsupported directory or under other abnormal conditions, it may not be able to be repaired without damage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-28T19:46:33+00:00

    OK thanks

    Did steps 2. and 3.

    So, I'll give it about 2 weeks to see if issue re-occurs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments