The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T17:50:31+00:00

    Thanks for the info. How long ago did you apply that fix? The bizarre thing is whenever I apply a "fix" it always works for may be a week, may be 2 at max, but then problem shows up again. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T13:25:51+00:00

    I found a fix for specified prcedure could not be found error. I had a problem open windows defender too. I ran this though powershell admin Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage That not only fixed my defender problem but also fixed specified procudure could not be found. I cn watch video and open images again with default apps

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T22:45:56+00:00

    This all doesn't work for me. My drivers are updated. The weird thing is it's only happening with the Microsoft Photo App. And not with all the pictures I found out. For example: The pictures on C: (desktop etc.) are sometimes working. But the pictures on different drives aren't. If I uninstall the photo app via Powershell, restart the pc, reinstall the photo app. It works a few times maybe, but the error: "The specified procedure could not be found" will be back!

    If I right-click -> open with -> choose other app: Photos (MS) -> 'check' the box always use this app to open .jpg. Than the photo app opens without the error. If I double-click (left) on the picture again, I get the error message.
    I also re do the default apps and extensions without results.

    Is it possible it's a permission/security issue? I never had this with Win10 and again it only happens with the MS photo app, so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-25T01:40:18+00:00

    jmwatt1234,

    All drivers they have brands, try to access brands official website to download the latest version of them. Priority is given to uninstalling and reinstalling external devices such as mice and printers.

    Let's take the Intel graphics card as an example:

    Hold down Windows + X and open Device Manager > Expand Display Adapter > Select the Intel graphic card > Right click it and select Properties > Click Uninstall > OK > And then access the brand official website to download the latest version of graphics driver to install it to your Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-23T16:59:54+00:00

    Can you provide some additional instruction for uninstall and reinstall of the drivers? The attached screen shot is from my device manager, which devices need to be re-installed? all of them? where can I download microsoft drivers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments