The error “The specified module could not be found” happening in Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-12-25T04:16:45+00:00

Upgraded one of my desktop PCs to Windows 11. I have a 2nd desktop still running Windows 10

On the Windows 11 desktop the “The specified module could not be found” error occurs. I notice that the error happens when attempting to access a jpeg or mp4

The error can be fixed in cmd window with these commands

C:\Windows\system32>  gpupdate /force

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll

C:\Windows\system32>  sfc /scannow

C:\Windows\system32>  exit

Restart

Unfortunately, the error eventually re-occurs on my Windows 11 desktop.

This error has never occurred on my Windows 10 desktop.

So, I'm beginning to think that this may be a "Windows 11" bug

Anyone else getting this error?

If so, have you found a permanent solution?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-31T20:17:37+00:00

    Aaannnnd it's back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T17:04:56+00:00

    I found a fix for specified prcedure could not be found error. I had a problem open windows defender too. I ran this though powershell admin Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage That not only fixed my defender problem but also fixed specified procudure could not be found. I cn watch video and open images again with default apps

    I tried the other fixes mentioned earlier, but yours fixed it for me.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-30T02:22:59+00:00

    Error: “The specified module could not be found”

    Happened again, after doing virus scan and registry deletes

    So its a bit of a mystery....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-28T02:19:14+00:00

    jmwatt1234,

    These two steps also provide you with troubleshooting ideas to help you find out the cause of the error. Troubleshooting and fixing the faults one by one helps to avoid the next error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-26T20:06:09+00:00

    Thank you for your quick response

    Does it make sense to do 2. and 3. updates before the error re-occurs? or does it make more sense to do these updates after the error happens again?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments