Windows 11 should never have been released while it was still in beta development. Users shouldn't have to waste their time doing a System Restore because the operating system is so unstable.
Windows 11 Destroyed my computer
Hello,
I'm absolutely baffled by what Microsoft has done. I woke up this morning to an update in progress restarting my computer. I left came back and it hadn't finished so I left it. When I got back later in the day the computer was at my log in screen and looked normal but the lockscreen background had changed. I entered my password and after an hour of "preparing your computer" the machine logged into my account, blank, no start menu, no programs, no access to anything just a newer Windows 11 background. Previous to this my machine updated to Windows 11 without any issues and I've used it now going on a month or so. Now I am left without any of my data and unable to produce any work. Who is going to fix this? Who is paying for what appears to be all my lost data? Who is paying the loss of productivity at work? I have no words just pure frustration combined with anger as I'm stuck trying to contact someone using a dinosaur laptop running Windows 7. After bricking a $2200 machine there's no point sticking with Microsoft at this point, Apple has never done this to me.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-06-10T15:37:41+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-07-04T06:34:31+00:00 I had a similar experience after performing the upgrade from Win 10 Update after it telling me my machine was fully compatible. Win 11 installed then quit working shortly after and I couldn't even boot into the system. Repair disk was useless as it stated it was incapable of doing anything to restore or repair. I had to reinstall Win 10 from a system image that I created 6 months prior. Windows 11 is truly terrible.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2022-04-03T11:13:06+00:00 Microsoft ruined both of my Window 7 computers by forcing people to accept Windows 11. . Why would they do that and then expect normal everyday people to perform all this downloading and rebooting that requires a professional computer technician to perform.
I spent a half day with Costco computer people trying to get my Window 11 PC to run. They didn’t know what they were doing and my perfectly good computer was ruined by all these updates window keeps downloading. I had to have a new hard drive put in just before 1 year because it wouldn’t download updates from Microsoft. It is an invasion of privacy and destruction of property by changing records that people have paid good money for.
If Microsoft would just give people the options of downloading it would be a perfect world. All my files disappeared last year because of Microsoft. My Ancestry Files that I had worked years on were gone and pictures. I did back them up but what right do they have for doing that? Now I have to buy a new computer and try putting my stuff back on.
I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I have worked in IT for over 17 years and I have not seen anything like this since the days of Vista.
1st , If your running windows 7? get off it! Its really not in compliance anymore and you would have to have some very strong malware and antivirus programs running to keep it. Yes as long as your browser choice allows its updates on that system , you could keep going, but normally I recommend to you Windows 10 Pro! not Home Edition. So if you can update to that. Do so. It will be better for you. Unless your running some old legacy item that needs that interface shell.
2nd To fix your issue, you have to go into the Registry and perform this task, which will prevent Windows 10 and 7 from updating to windows 11.
Go to this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/159624-how-specify-target-feature-update-version-windows-10-a.html
Select option two for REG File, Then Download the registry editor fix. Once this is done, Windows will begin to update on restart but do not be afraid, let it happen! Let it update fully to 21H2 , this will halt windows 11 update until some obscure date in the future like 2025 or something like that when end of life for Windows 10 expires. This will buy you allot of time, 3 years! and trust me with in that time period, Microsoft Developers will Fix! Windows 11 and all its bugs.
They never should have rolled it out! for customers to be some Petri dish test. Do this as soon as possible and this will fix your current situation and future problems.
Again, On behalf of the Tech World, we are sorry we could not get this info to you sooner. By the way, use a clean reinstall version of Windows when you do this, to make sure you have capture other problems.
-
Anonymous
2023-01-08T12:41:12+00:00 Hi Patricia,
I would not be surprised if this is a deliberate ploy to 1) destroy peoples' computers and laptops and 2) in order to force them to buy a new one... aka.... Microsoft probably has a handshake deal with computer companies in order to do this. I can no longer access any of my research files or my research PDF's which I am relying on to do my research! And I mean, academic PhD research. It is not only destroying my laptops abilities but also destroying my ability to continue my research. I agree, they have absolutely NO right to do this to people. It is disgustingly unethical.
Cheers