Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-31T01:18:49+00:00

    That's not a solution that's a workaround. Microsoft needs to fix the issue. Having to install 21H1 and put our systems at risk is not the right way to go.

    I will continue to pause updates until MS comes up with a real solution to the problem they have created by releasing a wonky update.

    I'd advise caution to anyone considering the workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T01:20:56+00:00

    Mine, too. It is stuck at downloading 100% just this morning. Last night, it downloaded and even installed, but I got an error code 0x80244018. I just shut off my laptop and tried it again this morning, and then this happened.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-03T13:45:11+00:00

    No Windows update is risk free especially one where you have to perform unusual steps to complete. Just because nothing went wrong for you doesn't mean that will be true for everyone who tries the workaround. For the record three out of the four systems I have tried updating so far (all running 64 bit) have successfully installed KB5008212.

    Unfortunately my most important system is the one where the update failed and I can not risk trying some workaround and putting that system at risk.

    Of course something is different on systems that have failed. Something went wrong during the update process and Widows is unable to fix the error despite performing normal repair procedures.

    The whole point is that we need to get MS to acknowledge the problem and issue a fix unless you want to have to go through this every time a simple Windows update is released.

    The fact that no MS Agent has responded to this thread is not a good sign but all we can do is keep trying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-29T18:37:09+00:00

    That's the big question. What went wonky with this update? I managed to install it successfully on three systems so far but one continues to fail. Why I have no idea.

    The problem is even though we are at "answers.microsoft.com" it's going to be hard to get anyone who is actually an MS agent to acknowledge the issue and until that happens there will be no fix. It was that way with the WasSMedic Agent.exe bug that took almost 10 months to fix.

    MS agents just stopped responding after awhile since they didn't have a clue what the problem was let alone how to fix it so we were left to just guess what was going on.

    What we could try to do is submit a report through the Feedback Hub after a failed update but even that is hit and miss at best. Many times it simply does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-27T05:21:23+00:00

    I am also struggling with Windows Update KB5008212 on my Microsoft Surface. The install stops at 20%. I have tried both the automatic installation and manual download installation. This is the only update showing that hasn't been installed.

    I have also been through the advice, stopped and restarted software, removed Avast, just about anything but nothing seems to work. It's frustrating.

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-7Y30 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.61 GHz

    Edition Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    Version 21H1

    OS Build 19043.1023

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments