Cumulative Update KB5008212 will not install

Anonymous
2021-12-19T04:26:40+00:00

I have a Dell laptop that I will be getting rid of and need to wipe clean the hard drive. I cannot use the DVD drive as Windows is cannot read the CD-RW Disc, so I cannot download the data removal software DBan. Since I purchased a new laptop in Sept, I have not used the Dell laptop; hence, no updates have been installed. Now, in order to for me to try to fix the DVD drive issue, I need to run updates; otherwise, I can do nothing on the laptop.

The latest cumulative update, KB5008212 is holding everything up to where I cannot do anything. It took most of the afternoon, into the evening to download. Now, it is stuck at Installing 100%. I went to the Windows Update catalog website to manually download and install the update, but I think there was an issue with the offline installer, it took forever to find the update on the computer.

I've run Windows Update over and over, but it just goes back to KB5008212 stuck at Installing 100%. I uninstalled the third-party security software app and that has not helped. In addition, there is a Microsoft Defender Antivirus security update that is attempting to download; it is stuck at Downloading: 10%.

Is there anything I can do to get this update to install or should just leave the laptop on overnight and see what happens?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-12T13:13:02+00:00

    I don't know how but KB5008212 is suddenly showing installed on 12/27

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-11T23:14:56+00:00

    Did you ever get KB 5008212 to install? I think that's what is keeping us from updating anything else. Until that update succeeds I think all the new updates will fail except for defender definitions.

    If you can, try submitting a Feedback Hub report. The more of us that report the issue the more likely it is that M$ will take notice.

    There is a reason why most systems take the update while some others fail. They just need to find out what that reason is....

    There are other known bugs with KB5008212 that M$ is aware of and fixes are supposed to be on the way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-11T23:08:24+00:00

    The metered connection should only make a difference if there is a problem downloading the update. It shows 100% downloaded here before the installation process starts which is when it stalls at 20%.

    I may try deleting the entire Software Distribution folder but will wait to see if there is any response from my Feedback Hub report.

    The system is functioning perfectly fine so there is really no rush.

    I may take this opportunity to upgrade that system to an SSD but the task of rebuilding the software database is not something I'm looking forward to. It will literally be days of work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-11T22:10:03+00:00

    I had the same thing. It now shows in update history that KB5008212 installed successfully on 12/27/2021. But I've attempted to install the new update, KB5009543 five times. It gets all the way to installing - 100% and I get the error message (0x800f020b). I tried the metered connection too. :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments