Printing from Win32 application - new after installing 22h2 update

Anonymous
2022-09-29T08:14:56+00:00

After installing 22h2 update we get this new and "annoying" dialog box in some programs. Annoying since this dialog box always picks up the default printer (we have many), so that you lose the entries made earlier. This dialog box only appears on certain programs, e.g. indesign. Does not come up in Office programs, Photoshop etc. Before 22H2 we did not get this dialog box. We see this is the dialog box that comes up when you press "shift+ctrl+p" In, for example, Indesign, we press "ctrl+p", then "setup", then this new dialog box appears.  When we pressed "setup" before 22H2, one went straight to the Printer driver's setup without going through this  "Printing from Win32 application" dialog box.

How can we avoid this dialog box?

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-09-30T16:54:07+00:00

Hi Sumit,

Sorry to be hijacking the thread here. Thank you for pointing that out, as I had totally missed it. As stated by Espen Johansen, this has to be done every time we want to print. We usually do color proofs first, then the actual print run, on all the machines. It appears that this dialog shows up for every printer from InDesign now, if I choose Setup, just as Espen Johansen mentioned. I, too, would like the option to get rid of this dialog box as the default behavior, so I can more easily choose the options relevant to the particular printer.

I apologize to both of you for inserting myself in this discussion. I hope that I didn't prevent or hinder your progress in any way.

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm Ramesh here. Since you replied to my post, I assume your last message was directed to me. Anyway, you may want to check out a registry method I found that brings back the legacy print dialog in Windows 11 22H2. It works only for classic/win32 apps.

I hope you and Espen Johansen will find it helpful.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-03T09:19:54+00:00

    Hi

    I have the same problem with 22H2, and the Microsoft ERP program Microsoft Dynamic Navision 2018.

    In the Dynamic Navision 2018, is it possible to setup a specific printer to a label/report. And this work perfect with Windows 11 21H2. But with 22H2, it always takes the standard printer. This means that it buypass the Dynamic Navision 2018 printer setup. And if you then will like to find the printer, it is a mess, where all the network printers from print server is not in alphabetical order. And a problem more, it that is try to find all HP printers in the network, so all printers is there ad less 2 times.

    How to fix this serious problem, since I have had to disable all future upgrades because of this bad 22H2.

    Peter Sunesen

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-01T03:32:49+00:00

    Hi Dan50Plym,

    Thanks for the update about the registry edit. It brings back the old print dialog to all of my classic apps (except Office 365). Don't know why it's not working for InDesign, but I will see if I can download a trial version of the program and test that out.

    BTW, "win32" means classic desktop apps, which can either be 32-bit or 64-bit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-09-30T04:50:57+00:00

    Hi Dan50Plym,

    Do you see the "More settings" link in the new Print dialog box? Clicking on it opens the printer/model-specific printing preferences dialog.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. SD - IA 180.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2022-09-29T08:47:31+00:00

    Hi Espen,

    I am Sumit here to assist you with this question.

    This is the new Print dialog box introduced with 22H2. I am unsure why it is showing up.

    Can you check for updated Printer drivers for your device?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments