MS MCT ISO 22621.382, fails to upgrade from 22000.1042

Anonymous
2022-09-23T23:57:40+00:00

On 9/23/2022 I tried upgrading from 22000.1042 with ISO 22621.382 and got the message on the bottom screenshot.

What is weird is that the same exact process worked fine on Sept 21st. 2022.

I already have a working backup copy of the system that was upgraded on Sept 21st. ����

What is changed in the last 2 days? What is it complaining about? There is no explanation showing on the learn more link.

Windows 11, version 22H2 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Learn

Here is my FBH report link: https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

This is a Dell XPS 8940.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-26T02:54:41+00:00

    Guess I will never see that concern. I always install offline during clean installs, upgrades via ISO, etc. Why let MS mess around with the install.

    Regards,

    Hi Johnny,

    This just showed up today on the same box. 🤣🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-26T02:08:47+00:00

    @Tekkie Boy,

    Hello,

    I created a log file with SetupDiag.exe and uploaded to MS FBH with the description of the problem.

    https://aka.ms/AAi6ab9

    I could upload the zipped log file if you are interested to see what may be causing the problem.

    I looked at the log file, but I still have no clue on what the cause of the problem is. 😎

    There were no errors listed in generated .xml files.

    I don't use OneDrive, so I would have to upload the log file to some other site that you can access.

    I found a way around the silly block anyway, but still would be nice to know why MS decided to block the upgrade 2 days after the same upgrade worked fine on the same exact box. 🤐🤐🤐

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-26T00:29:28+00:00

    After the error message I ran SetupDiag.exe and I get these logs, but I still don't know what the errors mean. 😎

    Image

    Image

    I uploaded a zip file of setupct.log created by SetupDiag.exe that shows the errors that may be causing the block.

    I found another way around this stupid block anyway, but I would think MS should look at the log and figure out a better way to fix this problem.

    Given that this same upgrade process was working fine on Sept 21,2022 on this very same machine. 🤐

    I also saved the log file on my local drive for future reference.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-25T02:47:34+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Even a bigger mystery about what causes MS to generate this silly message on a fully compliant box:

    I just did an upgrade with the same ISO, while online, from 19044.2075 to 22621.521 on an old Legacy BIOS laptop. (Red zone machine)

    It just came up fine right at 22621.521 directly, without even doing the intermediate step to 22621.382.

    KB5017321 was added during the upgrade process automatically, the same way they did starting on Sept 21, 2022.

    Go figure!

    I will never know what check they added that blocks the same upgrade that was fine 2 days earlier, on a fully compliant box that never had any issues before yesterday and had been running 22H2 for months without problems. 🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-24T23:14:52+00:00

    Guess I will never see that concern. I always install offline during clean installs, upgrades via ISO, etc. Why let MS mess around with the install.

    Regards,

    The problem did not affect clean install, it was an upgrade from 21H2 to 22H2.

    Even changing the setup to not check for updates, just being connected to the network was enough to generate that message.

    As a workaround I just disconnected the cable so that they could not do any check from the internet. 🤷‍♂️

    I still cannot figure out what they don't like in this machine. It has been working for months with 22H2 that was previously upgraded from 21H2.

    It still works fine now with public 22H2 22621.521 after bypassing the silly block, nothing was changed from previous configuration and the installed program are all the same as before. 🤣🤣

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments