When will the Intel Generation 11 CPU hold on the Install of 22H2 be resolved?

Anonymous
2022-09-24T17:52:02+00:00

I have 2 computers with the Intel 11th Generation CPU and both are in hold for installation to Windows 11 22H2. Apparently there is a driver issue with the CPU that conflicts with 22H2 and Microsoft has decided to not install until the issue is resolved. After an extensive search on the internet, I can find no information on this, certainly not on the Microsoft site and also not on the Intel site.

Does anyone have any information on this? Your replies are certainly welcome.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-30T00:19:26+00:00

I am happy to help RC.

Let me know if I can help further. I'll stay subscribed to this thread in case you need anything else, until the system locks it in a few months.

Also if any particular post provided the solution, please mark it as Answer or Helpful to help others who find this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-28T20:42:20+00:00

    Just finished the experiment. I did unplug the C: drive and attached the 1 TB spinner to the computer through the connections that are used for the C: drive. After a clean install, It is now running build 22621.382 22H2 (see screenshot attached).

    Obviously the problem with the install is not the computer. There may be a problem with Group Policy, but I never fool with that as I really do not understand it. Even trying to figure out what the article I read about Group Policy interference with 22H2 did not help me at all as I couldn't even find the "preferences" that were mentioned (yes, I did run the Group Policy Editor). But then I'm 81 years old and only have about 60 years of experience using computers,, so it is obvious that I still have a lot to learn.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-09-28T18:10:56+00:00

    That would work, you just wouldn't be able to go back and forth as easily unless you can install both drives somehow. In that case be sure to unplug the other drive when installing to the new one so that the drives remain independently bootable via the BIOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-28T07:30:55+00:00

    While I'm here if you want to save a System Image backup and Clean Install, or shrink C to Clean Install in a Dual Boot to compare, then I'll help you try to resolve any issues.

    Thanks, Greg, for your offer regarding a clean install (after a System Image Backup). Believe it or not, I actually have a complete backup which I did yesterday ... I do that about once a week. I could try (successfully, I'm sure) the clean install but don't want, at least right now, to spend the 5 or 6 hours required to put it back together and install all additional software. Regarding the Dual Boot, the hard drive is only 256 GB, and I don't wish to place two partitions on the drive as both, probably, would be too small. I happen to have a 512 GB SSD which I've never used and I guess I could try that one in the machine, using Macrium Reflect to clone the drive I've been using and trying it but I'm not sure I want to Dual Boot it ... I get impatient (as I tell my wife, I am not a medical Doctor and don't need patients ... my PhD is in another field).

    Again, thank you, but in this case, I think I'll pass.

    Oh, I just had an interesting idea ... I have a 3/5" 1 TB spinning hard drive available ... maybe I can remove the present hard drive and do a clean install on it! If I do that, I won't do it tonight, maybe tomorrow or the next day. If I do that, I will report to this site the results. If 22H2 installs, well then, maybe I should do a complete clean install using the 512 GB SSD giving me twice as much room on the main drive. I'll let you know in a day or two.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-28T07:19:52+00:00

    While I'm here if you want to save a System Image backup and Clean Install, or shrink C to Clean Install in a Dual Boot to compare, then I'll help you try to resolve any issues.

    Thanks, Greg, for your offer regarding a clean install (after a System Image Backup). Believe it or not, I actually have a complete backup which I did yesterday ... I do that about once a week. I could try (successfully, I'm sure) the clean install but don't want, at least right now, to spend the 5 or 6 hours required to put it back together and install all additional software. Regarding the Dual Boot, the hard drive is only 256 GB, and I don't wish to place two partitions on the drive as both, probably, would be too small. I happen to have a 512 GB SSD which I've never used and I guess I could try that one in the machine, using Macrium Reflect to clone the drive I've been using and trying it but I'm not sure I want to Dual Boot it ... I get impatient (as I tell my wife, I am not a medical Doctor and don't need patients ... my PhD is in another field).

    Again, thank you, but in this case, I think I'll pass.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments