Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen

Anonymous
2022-06-09T20:33:21+00:00

Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.

Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios  -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)

P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.

Thank you for your time!

-Anthony

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-23T23:31:50+00:00

    I have had the exact same issue as you for the exact same reason.

    I have been wanting to play Valorant again after moving to windows 11 but it requires secure boot. When I enable secure boot I reboot the PC the motherboard logo loads and does POST boot but as soon as it would start to log into windows black screen with nothing at all. Only way I can get it back is going back to BIOS and turning off secure boot. I really want to play Valorant again but haven’t been able to get round the issue. I had a new SSD and installed windows fresh and everything but absolutely no luck with it. Have you found a solution I would really like to know

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-11T05:27:16+00:00

    So what do I do if I can't afford a new mobo, I'm 14 so I don't get steady income and should not use the money I have to pay for a new motherboard to fix s poorly designed feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-09T05:13:16+00:00

    Removing the cmos battery doesn't solve the issue. I also tried exactly what you said and the same problem continues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-11T19:36:23+00:00

    and before install secure boot , make sure u have latest bios and chipset , maby manual download tmp module

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-11T19:34:36+00:00

    plz all who buy computers but cant even turn on secure boot, first turn it on in " system config " / REGEDIT / in windows security / then go bios and activate it , same with all who dont have tpm 2.0 , can use the same but secure launch instead with virutal based security , when u have a problem search on google and u have a answer in 10 seconds

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments