Bro bro u saved my life with doing this comment, cause i have the same issue like 12 hour and i could not find any proper information about this. Everyone says take the cmos batter or etc. but i just need it to only change my display port to hdmi man you are awesome and you saved my day today ^_^ :3
Enabling Secure Boot Results in Black Screen
Hello! I first discovered this issue after I updated to Windows 11 and wanted to play a video game known as Valorant. Valorant uses a kernel level anti-cheat software that requires you to have TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled if you are playing on Windows 11. I was using a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi, 2070 Super Founders Edition, i9-9900kf ; went into BIOS, enabled secure boot and tpm 2.0, but upon restarting my PC I was met only with a black screen. I tried using an old 1070 i had but the issue persisted. Cleared CMOS, did everything I could think of before eventually caving and buying a new motherboard. I was dumb though and went with the same motherboard model, and originally decided not to mess with it anymore and cut my losses with Valorant. Its been a few months though and I have really been wanting to play. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this reliably? I can't afford to brick another board. (maybe the board isnt actually bricked but I have no way of getting into the bios as the kf has no integrated graphics. I have a 6700k that is the same socket as the z390, but it doesn't support that chipset as while the sockets have the same number of pins they are organized differently or something along those lines from what I understand. I've attached my system information below, please let me know if theres anything else I can provide that might help.
Some more notes:
-I have NOT tried enabling secure boot on the new board. I am afraid of recreating the issue without being able to solve it again.
-Gigabyte BIOS Update list https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios -again, I want to be sure the issue won't replicate if possible!
-I do NOT know for sure if my old BIOS mode was set to Legacy by default, but I think it may have been, where as this board has it set to UEFI by default. (They are still the same model, however)
P.S. I read on a forum post that this issue appears sometimes with gigabyte motherboards, and that updating the bios could fix it. However, it is to my understanding that this issue is a result of some conflict with UEFI and Legacy graphics drivers, which I'm not sure how updating the bios would fix. I took a few computer science classes and built my pc, but this issue seems to be above my paygrade and keeps going over my head. Im having a hard time understand what's really happening.
Thank you for your time!
-Anthony
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-12-16T00:06:34+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-09-21T10:28:16+00:00 A possible solution to this issue is to connect to any monitor via a VGA cable (cheap from a local shop if you dont have one laying around). Some older flat screen LCD type TVs still support VGA so you might have one in a spare bedroom. (See the PTN at the bottom why not to use HDMI)
If you have an add-in graphics card (GPU), you can try plugging it in to that first (possibly need an adapter)
If that fails, try plugging the VGA in to the integrated slot and boot up - if you receive the message an addin graphics card was detected but not supported, you can assume the next option will work.
My Solution -
Remove the GPU from the PC (unplugging its power cable is not enough) and plug the VGA direct to the integrated GPU slot (can sometimes be behind a plastic guard).
On restart with the VGA plugged in, the screen displayed a message along the lines of - System didnt boot correctly, press F2 to enter BIOS and setup. From here you can change the secure boot setting back to OFF!! Make sure you save the changes before exiting!!
Continue to load up your PC and then shut down as normal - you should now be able to reinsert your GPU and plug back in all the original cables.
Point to note - for some strange reason, my system would detect a HDMI was connected in the add in GPU slot and display a black screen (my display would change from the idle screen saver so I knew it was receiving some signal). It wouldn't however receive signal from the integrated GPU HDMI slot so either way HDMI is a no!!
-
Anonymous
2022-08-18T08:12:44+00:00 Hi, I had the same problem as you, but I still continue to have the pc with a black screen.
So I wanted to ask you if buying a CPU with integrated video card, could it work. I was already planning to get it because by searching the internet many of them had solved the problem by using a CPU with integrated video card.
I wanted to ask you if you are sure that buying a CPU with an integrated video card could solve the problem. And after that if I could get into the bios what should I do, disable only secure boot, or update the bios completely.
PS
I also did all the prediminal steps you did, like resetting the CMOS.
And I also wanted to tell you to try using a feature that's available on gigabyte motherboards (granted it didn't work for me), check if there's a feature on your motherboard called Q_FLASH PLUS, basically it's based on updating the bios with the pc off and disassembled only with the motherboard with the 24 pin cable attached and the one for CPU power. I suggest you look into it, maybe it works for you.
Best
Riccardo
-
Anonymous
2022-07-27T09:26:37+00:00 Unfortunately GIGABYTE Support has not been much help. All they've suggested is doing everything I already tried (removing cmos battery, shorting pins, etc). Its been 6 days since I've last heard back from them.
I am honestly totally out of ideas for as to how to solve this. Im wondering if it was just an issue with that board/bios. I went to a support discord for my motherboard's manufacturer and spoke to a few seemingly knowledgeable folks, but english was not their first language and all they could make out to me was that it was "a bug with the bios," with no real indication as to whether or not it was safe to try again. Today I flashed the bios to the most recent version (f12), as I was looking at the bios versions and read that this update addressed some serious security concerns. (I literally had to take a few hours to remove some nasty malware today, so I've been eager to stay safe on the PC lately,)
Still haven't tried anything else out of fear of bricking the board, though. Really wish I could know the bios version on the bricked board. None of my friends have any CPUs with integrated graphics that would fit in the LGA1151 either, which would be a monumental help.
-
Anonymous
2022-07-02T18:26:33+00:00 Thank you for letting me know your progress. I will continue to follow this post. If you need our assistance, please reply again