Can't Re-install MS Print to PDF

Anonymous
2022-06-29T17:12:24+00:00

This printer recently disappeared.

When I try to re-install using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: (Local port) MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 (2006-06-21) shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

Using "Have Disk" and navigating to System32/spool/tools/MS Print to PDF brings up prnms009.inf (2022-05-06), but error message says: "The system cannot find the file specified".

The same happens when I use other printer port choices.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-07-06T14:52:00+00:00

Hi,

Ok. I got the two folder names from your screenshot. A registry key needs to be fixed that should resolve the PDF printer installation error.

Please try the steps listed under "Fix the NTPrint.INF Registry Branch" in this article.

The two folder names you need to use (in Step 13 of the tutorial) are:

  • ntprint.inf_x86_09386a5bbd47625a
  • ntprint.inf_amd64_09386a5bbd47625a

Note that you need to run Command Prompt under the SYSTEM (Local System) account as indicated in that article. It's because user accounts don't have write access to that key by default.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-01T15:52:36+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    Error: 0x800F0922

    DISM log file available

    Once again, many thanks for your assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-01T15:15:14+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    I can successfully de-install and re-install MS Print to PDF from Optional Features, if I stop spooler service before re-installing, but the printer does not show up in printer lists in Word or in Settings . . . Printers and Scanners.

    When I try to add using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: (Local port) MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 (2006-06-21) shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

    Hi,

    Please try the two DISM commands and let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-01T14:49:19+00:00

    Hi Ramesh:

    I can successfully de-install and re-install MS Print to PDF from Optional Features, if I stop spooler service before re-installing, but the printer does not show up in printer lists in Word or in Settings . . . Printers and Scanners.

    When I try to add using Add a printer/Add manually/Choose a Printer Port/PortPrompt: (Local port) MS Print to PDF Version 10.0.17763.1 (2006-06-21) shows up as a choice. Error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-06-30T15:43:26+00:00

    Hi,

    Now that DISM has been run successfully, please try installing Microsoft Print to PDF via Optional Features (optionalfeatures.exe) again. Do you still get the error 0x800F0922?

    Alternately, here are the commands (to be run from admin Command Prompt) to uninstall and reinstall MS Print to PDF.

    Open an admin Command Prompt window and run these two commands:

    dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart 
    
    dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments