Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-21T10:24:48+00:00

    I have Power Toys version 0.74.1 (latest I think).

    I doesn't seem to have a File Explorer option.

    I am convinced that this problem we are all having is due to Microsoft updates in Windows 11.

    Mine used to work fine until I had an update which caued the preview to vanish. Then after another update I now get a thumbnail in the top left of the preview pane, which is useless.

    If anyone who works for Microsoft reads this, I would be very happy to hear his/her response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T15:03:19+00:00

    It seems many people have this problem. With my Win 11 Pro, Explorer worked perfectly by previewing pdf files (a function that I really needed) but then I had a Windows update and the preview frustratingly no longer worked. Now I have had a further update and I do get a small represenation of the pdf page but it is not clear enough to read it (music in my case).

    I have tried all the mentioned suggestions for a fix to no avail.

    So I am certain that this is a Windows update problem. They stopped it working, now they have to get it working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-20T20:29:06+00:00

    The only Solution is ---- Sign In your Acrobate reader and you will get the preview for your Pdf file

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-20T11:51:10+00:00

    I don't think I can help you much other than to say that it works fine on my system and I have Paint Shop Pro 7 as my default viewer for jpg files.

    I don't think that this has anything to do with your problem as the preview of jpg files worked before I changed the default viewer.

    My pdf problem seems to have mainly gone away. There is still one quirk in that the first pdf I preview after system boot does not allow me to scroll down the preview to see the whole file. If I switch to another pdf I can scroll down this pdf and when I switch back to the first one that scrolls OK as well.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-25T15:46:50+00:00

    Hi Stuart,

    Some suggestions:

    • Clear the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup.
    • Try clean booting Windows and see if that resolves the issue.
    • Eliminate all non-Microsoft shell extensions (except the PowerToys PDF preview handler) and start a clean instance of Explorer. You can do that using ShellExView from Nirsoft.
    • Create a new local admin account and see if the problem is system-wide or profile-specific.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments