Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-23T19:01:26+00:00

    Acrobat Adobe Pro x64

    PowerToys works when this problem exists. I continually have the pdfs not showing in preview pane with the color of background and/or white pane.

    PowerToys is set to pdf it does not change anything.

    I wish Microsoft would remove questions/etc. that are not accurate.

    To have answers to all options available to correct the preview pane not showing pdfs to investigate.

    Tired of searching online to get the same "is preview pane on" "is pdf thumbnails checked" then it ends on 90% of online searches without the options options.

    Like: via settings, via regedit.msc, via cmd, via wps, bat file, etc

    There are more than one option and they should all be available from MIcrosoft instead of customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-19T17:26:26+00:00

    Apologies for my error.

    Right-click does give me a run option, but from there the result is exactly the same as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-19T17:09:35+00:00

    Your reply does not instill me with confidence.

    Clicking Start did not give me a run option.

    When I attempted to run "cleanmgr.exe" the system ran a program which only had a option to select a drive.

    Thanks, but I think I will live with what I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T07:11:45+00:00

    I found this: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html

    Upshot is, I had to tick a box that became unticked in a windows/acrobat/other??? update.

    It says for Acrobat XI and Reader XI, the thumbnails of PDFs are automatically shown in Windows Explorer on Windows 32-bit systems. However, the same is not supported on Windows 64-bit systems.

    Open Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. On the Edit menu, choose Preferences.

    In the Preferences dialog box, choose General in the Categories list, and then select the Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer check box.

    I needed to restart as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T16:34:19+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments