cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T18:03:33+00:00

    Unfortunately we are just a bunch of users so far....

    I'm just trying to see if there anything else in common between all of us....

    My entire environment is all 32 bit, but only the machines with M.2 boot devices are failing for 2022-10, Older Machines with SATA upgraded fine.

    They have acknowledge an issue with "Secure Boot" that looks similar (ie After Cumulative, it reboots and reverts) but this was the 2022-08 which had loaded fine on all my machines.

    I think it's might be good if people check to see if they have installed the Aug and Sept Cumulative or if it's just October failing.

    Regards,

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T17:33:38+00:00

    The update has been out for nearly 2 weeks. It probably a non-issue for them.

    I managed to get it installed on 1 device after clearing cache and using the manual update about 10-15 times. Although it reported as if it failed, but it then showed up as installed in programs and features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T15:57:49+00:00

    ThinkPad X1C using a U6300 i5 and Surface Pro 4 Laptop using a i7 1185G7 are the models with the issue I have.

    Downloads fine. Installs. Computer reboots to finish the update. Gets to 9%. Then fails and reverts the update.

    This occurs when I install the update manually from the catalog and when I use SCCM to push the update.

    As stated before, this does not occur on all models. I've had the update install successfully on a multitude of other computers but different models. My computers are running Windows 10 21H2.

    Edited: Same issue with Out of Band Update KB5020435

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T14:36:14+00:00

    I can tell you this is NOT only Dell computers...

    I agree, I have seen it on Asus and Gigabyte Motherboards... Mainly I7-6700 CPU's (apox 100 rebooting daily)

    For me "So far" I've Only seen it with 32bit version of windows 10 and using the "Microsoft NVM Express Controller". (but that is most of my WAN)

    As documented if I switch to the Samsung M.2 Driver everything works perfect.

    Also don't know if it's relevant but my boot partition is NOT the first on the disk\ssd.... and typically DELL and HP's also have their own recovery type hidden partitions.

    Not sure why ProxMox VM's would fail.... I've tested 22H2 (x32) with 2022-10 on a HyperV and it worked find... and a new install on Gigabyte metal crashes.

    It would be helpful if everyone having this issue could respond with their Computer model, Windows Version (32\64) and boot drive model.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T13:52:31+00:00

    I can tell you this is NOT only Dell computers...

    I have my home lab virtualized on ProxMox, and all my ProxMox virtuals are doing this too. I have tried everything listed above, and have even reinstalled 100% from scratch and still end up in the same place. I really hope this gets resolved soon! Hopefully knowing it's not just Dell machines may help find a common link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments