rightclick your desktop
refresh
worked for me
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
How do I get rid of the green check marks on my desktop icons and photos in windows 10?
I must have done something, but I don't know what---today, when I went to my photos, there's these checkmarks on each photo--
I googled and can't seem to fix it---the word Drop Box comes up and I have no idea what that is--
Can someone help?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
rightclick your desktop
refresh
worked for me
Hello MaryWilliamsRN,
I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with green check marks on your icons on windows 10.
This indicates that those files are synchronized with Microsoft OneDrive
Look for OneDrive(Cloud) icon on the bottom right side of your taskbar (system tray)
Right click it then select Close OneDrive
Click Close OneDrive again
If it doesn't work, Safely restart your PC
Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.
Sincerely,
John DeV
Independent Advisor
Type "appear" into Search to open Performance Options. It matters that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked at the Visual Effects tab. It governs all picture files including the ones that I have given over to OneDrive.
And the setting you found in Folder Options needs to be unchecked...
With either not set right, I get icons...
With both set right, it's thumbnails...
I hope that does it. Good luck.
SOME of my picture files have a white check mark in a green circle and these SAME pictures only display icons, never thumbnails. I set onedrive folder to "keep local" and unlinked the computer and set onedrive to NOT turn on automatically. These files are in a dropbox subdirectory - NOT in a onedrive folder. The check marks don't disturb me too much but those SAME picture (jpg) files only show icons and will not display thumbnails no matter what I do which is really annoying. I have done View - folder options and set and reset "always show icons" many times. Believe me, it is unchecked! I have done icon cache rebuild several times. It really sucks having to research your damn computer to get it to work "normally" and I just can't find a way to fix this. This is a fairly new ACER Aspire laptop with no other issues. Any ideas?
I totally agree. AND I wish people would look at the attachment I added because so far most of the answers have not even been close to relating to my question. Oh well - it is still most annoying. I've lived through worse! Happy Holidays.