Can't connect Galaxy S20+ to Windows 10 PC - "We're having issues authenticating your devices"

Anonymous
2020-12-03T05:15:00+00:00

I'm trying to link my Galaxy S20+ to my Windows 10 PC via the Your Phone Windows app and am getting the following error as soon as I select "Android" and click Continue: 

In the Link to Windows settings on my phone, I click "Add computer" and scan the QR code, which takes me to this endless loading screen that says - "Check your PC - We're checking one more thing on your PC before we ask for a final permission":

Additionally, when I click "Done" on my PC, it also has an endless loading wheel.

Both my phone and PC are connected to the same WiFi network.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

  • Restarted my PC
  • Restarted my phone
  • Logged into my Microsoft account in the browser and removed my linked phone
  • Clicked the Repair button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Reset button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Clicked the Terminate button in the Your Phone app settings on my PC
  • Uninstalled Your Phone via Powershell and reinstalled it on my PC
  • Updated my drivers on my PC
  • Allowed Your Phone to run in background on my PC
  • Turned on Share Across Devices on my PC
  • Disabled Battery Saver on my PC
  • Force Stopped, Cleared Cache, and Cleared Data for Your Phone Companion on my phone
  • Removed the Your Phone Companion Microsoft account from Link to Windows settings on my phone
  • Turned on notifications for Your Phone on my phone
  • Turned on Your Phone under Accessibility settings on my phone
  • Made sure that Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, and networking metering are all turned off in my phone
  • Reset network settings in my phone
  • Went into my router settings and set my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Performed an in-place "Upgrade Now" Windows re-install

Any help would be appreciated!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Connect Phone and PC

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-10T04:55:56+00:00

    Thanks for the help, but like some others, I tried all of the above, several times, to no avail.  Why on Earth is not Samsung rushing to get the fixed?  Has anyone put this issue to them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-09T11:05:26+00:00

    Guys, I figured it out. I had linked a school email address to my PC ages ago, and apparently the email account just got deactivated, because Windows could no longer connect to it. On my PC I went to Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school -> Clicked on the account -> Disconnect.

    Tried the Your Phone linking process again and breezed through it, working great now. Thanks for your efforts Greg!

    Exactly the same issue as OP. Spent hours trying to fix this. 

    Thanks for the solution. On my PC I went to Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school -> Clicked on the account -> Disconnect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-08T17:06:36+00:00

    I am not an MVP or some tech superstar, just technology devices are afraid of me and self-correct. Seriously, this has been plaguing me for about a month and I have tried all the normal solutions that have been provided here.  I am not saying that my fix is the only solution or that my assumptions are correct, I know a.. out of me and u, no worries, I was an a.. before I assumed anything.  So enough rambling here is the answer:   The answer is hidden in the error message, we are having a problem AUTHENTICATING. This indicates that it is an issue with logins or account. If you are on a Windows 10 PC, check your accounts and remove any old accounts and make sure that you are logged into the Microsoft account that has access to the phone device and that you are logged into the same Microsoft account on the phone as well. On the PC run the tool to fix your Microsoft accounts in the settings section. Then go to the manage your account link and make sure that you are current with your billing and you do not have any errors or issues in the account. I figured this out when I was working in Word and I saw a yellow triangle caution alert by my account profile in the top right corner. I logged out and then logged back into the word and it did not go away. Went to manage my Microsoft account and for some reason, it was not processing my billing correctly. Forced the payment and BOOM Your Phone App magically starts connecting. 

    It is clearly an app that ties into multiple authentification platforms and is prime to have connection and integration issues. So when in doubt, verify your accounts and logins are working correctly on each device. Specifically, Microsoft accounts. They have to be the same on both devices. Hope this helps others, peace out ya'll!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-08T14:21:40+00:00

    So this all worked great for a day or two now i am also having authentication issues.

    Tried all the fixes, even the one that worked for OP but im still stuck in limbo.

    Great idea but terrible execution and consistency

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-12-05T23:17:27+00:00

    Thank you so much for this!  I had the same issue with the work account and your solution fixed it!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments