Microsoft backup programs, questions....

Anonymous
2020-11-09T20:27:10+00:00

I've been on a quest to find a backup system for Windows that is:

  1. Easy to use visually for folks with vision issues.   That includes me.  :-(
  2. Easy for a newbie to understand by simply reading the information provided on the screen.
  3. All aspects actually work.
  4. Preferably has a free version, for those that cannot afford the prices for the software.  This is especially a problem for vendors who  use the subscription model.

Given the number of 3rd party programs I've tried that don't actually work in all aspects, I've been setting up the Microsoft provided software.

With the exception of File History, which for me, occasionally does not add new files to the History after they are created, I've been happy with the results.

So it's depressing to see MS is deprecating a system that at least works as well for me as most 3rd party candidates I've tried.  FWIW, of the programs I've tried, only one has seemed to work in all cases, but fails miserably for points 1 & 2 above.

That being said, the following questions come to mind:

  1. For those who are part of the Insider program, has there been any discussion regarding the reversal of the decision to deprecate the MS software?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a program or programs that meet the desired needs listed above?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T04:41:25+00:00

    You are welcome. That's right, an upvote is agreement with the complaint/suggestion.

    Now I'm thinking, you are happy with Backup & Restore, but just fear it will be deprecated. Then, you'd want them/someone to replace it with something as good visually. Is that it? Then state that outright. Also, ask them whether it is true that it will indeed be deprecated a second time. It was removed already in Win 8, but everyone has it back again in Win 10. I've had it since Win 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T04:06:34+00:00

    I gave you an upvote, but you should state the specific visual problem you've got. Color Filters & High Resolution work fine for my cataracts. What you want is larger text in requestor boxes/buttons. Tell them of your specific complaints with Magnifier & other available "solutions" as you did earlier in this thread. And tell them you are running 20H2.

    Good luck, but I fear it takes a lot more than the two upvotes you've got for action.

    Thanks.  I assume an upvote mean a reader agrees with the poster?

    While what you've just written is true, it has nothing to do with the subject of the feedback I posted, which is about the backup software.  What you've written really should have a new feedback message, IMO.

    MS is just so friendly at times...  I was thinking about such a post, but I'm writing this while on my Mac, and I can't access the hub.  And, I'm not going to fire up another computer just for that.  :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T01:38:49+00:00

    I gave you an upvote, but you should state the specific visual problem you've got. Color Filters & High Resolution work fine for my cataracts. What you want is larger text in requestor boxes/buttons. Tell them of your specific complaints with Magnifier & other available "solutions" as you did earlier in this thread. And tell them you are running 20H2.

    Good luck, but I fear it takes a lot more than the two upvotes you've got for action.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T00:41:49+00:00

    good, thank you.

    lets hope that microsoft make some improvements to help those with similar problems.

    To be honest, I have no faith in anything they do that is supposed to be friendly to the user.  :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Martmcd 19,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-11-12T00:25:03+00:00

    good, thank you.

    lets hope that microsoft make some improvements to help those with similar problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments