I've learned things to.
We've had the type of conversation that is truly rare in forums, and I've enjoyed it.
Keep your eyes open, I'll likely be back when I get tot he networking.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Bye.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've been on a quest to find a backup system for Windows that is:
Given the number of 3rd party programs I've tried that don't actually work in all aspects, I've been setting up the Microsoft provided software.
With the exception of File History, which for me, occasionally does not add new files to the History after they are created, I've been happy with the results.
So it's depressing to see MS is deprecating a system that at least works as well for me as most 3rd party candidates I've tried. FWIW, of the programs I've tried, only one has seemed to work in all cases, but fails miserably for points 1 & 2 above.
That being said, the following questions come to mind:
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I've learned things to.
We've had the type of conversation that is truly rare in forums, and I've enjoyed it.
Keep your eyes open, I'll likely be back when I get tot he networking.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Bye.
I'm with you on that. I think we're talked out for now. It's been good, though. I know I learned something in this thread, but it's been so long I've forgotten what it was. Anyway, you need to get going with that to-do list. OK, happy thanksgiving & bye.
Well... What do you think, have we pretty much run this into the ground? At least for now?
(1) "After researching the error codes , and getting advice in the other thread, I took the easy way out and just did a repair install. Which is simply resetting the computer.
It worked, was easy to accomplish, and a number of unknown issues were cleaned up. The system was noticeably faster. I've not tried the commands since then."
Yep -- a repair-install is a powerful thing, a lot like a clean install but gives an option to keep apps, files & settings. You get a new date at "START, Settings, System, About"...
And stuff like errors in Event Viewer are cleared & start fresh. It was great, though two/so hours long. The mini-update to 20H2 didn't reset that date or anything, though, because it just turned on switches that already were in 2004.
(2) "Depends on what you accept as acting up. "
A lot like what you said, pressing a key will do a weird thing, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to worry. What I do hate 2nd-most is clicking "Submit" & nothing happens. Then Ctrl-A plus Ctrl-C will put it into the Clipboard. Cancel the post, refresh the site, & Ctrl-V will work in a new Reply -- unless there is a picture in it!
(1) "That assumes DISM and SFC actually run. The last time I tried it, on my main system that I knew had problems, neither would run. Gave me an error message about halfway through for each of them. So, just did a repair install. I've got a thread about that somewhere here."
DISM & SFC are a sore disappointment fixing anything, & that goes double when they won't even run. But I still like to see them both complete successfully. I trust yours do so now that you did the repair-install. Here are mine...
After researching the error codes , and getting advice in the other thread, I took the easy way out and just did a repair install. Which is simply resetting the computer.
It worked, was easy to accomplish, and a number of unknown issues were cleaned up. The system was noticeably faster. I've not tried the commands since then.
(2) "But it doesn't tell us how many items are using/sharing the driver."
I'm just glad it stopped at two. When I check again & again, it remains just two. I guess it happened once when I upgraded to 2004 & again on the upgrade to 20H2. The former was from an ISO, & the latter was through Windows Update which took mere minutes & really just turned on switches. But that must have been enough to do the dirty work.
But it still boils down to this... We still don't positively know why the 2 entries.
(3) "Man, whoever coded this forum had to be a rookie at best. What a time waster it is to use.
But then, all forums are time wasters in this regard. :-("
Now & then it does act up. What I hate most is I can't copy/paste a picture into it anymore. The picture must be saved, then inserted, now.
Depends on what you accept as acting up. If quality was a component of the coding, there would be no problems. In some places, I press the backspace key, and instead of deleting to the left, it deletes from the right. Sometimes, wheh I'm doing the backspace key, rows appear and disappear. If these programmers were working for me, I'd fire every one of them.
I come from an era where programmers took pride in their work. The wanted it efficient and error free. Now, it seems like "close enough for government work" is the mantra. Years ago, the reputation for MS software was that it worked, but it didn't work well. I still have that opinion of their products.