I have the same issue. It's been stuck at 20% for 4 hours. The solution posted doesn't work when you can't get past the "Working on updates 20%" screen. I'm on the verge of powering it off and taking my chances. It did this 2 days ago when attempting to install it and took 9 hours before it timed out. Ridiculous.
Windows update version 20h2 is stuck at 20% installing
I've tried to install this update on my laptop, but it's stuck at 20% installing. Any help?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-01-26T23:26:37+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-10-29T01:40:12+00:00 Hi WongLi.
My name is Daniela, I am an independent advisor.
I hope you are very well.
Try restarting or stopping the Windows Update Service. To do this, follow the instructions below:
Go to Control Panel.
Click the left mouse button on the search box displayed in the Control Panel window.
Type in the search box: Administrative tools.
Click with the left mouse button or click on the Administrative Tools function.
Now double-click on the Services function.
You may be asked for an administrator account and password, in this case you will need to enter them.
In the displayed list you should look for Windows Update.
Right-click on the Windows Update service. From the menu that appears, click Stop. You can also select the Restart option.
Finally, restart your computer.
Go back to the Windows Update Service, left-click on it and select Start.
Have a wonderful day.
Best regards.
Daniela.
-
Anonymous
2021-02-12T12:25:19+00:00 I've tried to install this update on my laptop, but it's stuck at 20% installing. Any help?
I have the same issue with 2021-02 Cumlative update for windows 10 version 1909 for x64 based systems ( KB5001028 ) stopping at 20%.
-
Anonymous
2021-02-13T06:55:14+00:00 Hi Daniela
I have the same issue with this update. I followed your advice but I cannot click on the 'Stop' as all options are greyed out.
Help please
-
Anonymous
2021-04-09T17:49:48+00:00 Your nVidia graphics card is the problem. Remove your graphics card, use the onboard graphics and the issue will be resolved. 20H2 has issues with nVidia graphics cards. revert back to your previous version of win 10 and reinstall your graphics card.
UPDATE: Try disabling the onboard graphics adapter in device manager. Then reboot to the bios and change your graphics settings to "PCIe."
UPDATE 2:
I actually got 20H2 to install and run smoothly on my desktop. I disabled my nVidia Graphics Adapter in the Device Manager leaving only the Intel Graphics Adapter running. Rebooted my system to bios and changed the graphics to igpu (Intel onboard graphics). Save and reboot to windows. Update to 20H2 from within windows and then go back to device manager. Disable the Intel Graphics Adapter (give it a few seconds to take) and then enable the nVidia or whichever graphics card you want to run. Reboot. Bios. Change the graphics to PCIe. Save and exit. Windows will now run without issue. Do Not Enable the Intel Graphics Adapter. I think there is an issue with 2 graphics adapters being enabled at the same time that creates the problem.