Trying to update to Windows11 22h2 but always fails even when trying to install fresh ISO

Anonymous
2023-02-14T15:21:30+00:00

I've been trying to update to the latest Win11pro 22h2 since last December. Not working well at all. It always gets to 98% and then "something happened" and it rolls it back to 21h2 as you see below. I've tried everything except to nuke the SDD and treat it like is was a new unit. Not really wanting to go that route.

I started just with the Windows update, no joy.

moved to the ISO, mounted and install, no joy.

turned off my Antivirus and tried above two methods again, no joy.

uninstalled my Antivirus and tired above two methods again, no joy.

I've been reading these forums and trying their ideas, no joy.

need a little help here I guess to move forward. I've pasted my machine info below and there are links to SETUPACT.log, SETUPAPI.LOG, and a screen shot of the error after a reboot from trying to install from ISO and it did its automatic roll back.

SETUPACT.log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVcJuecXbkgIqPYG?e=NJ3zEk

SETUPAPI.LOG https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVaWIlWpf14BL4l-?e=PWShbz

screen shot: https://1drv.ms/b/s!ApNnd0WJC5zahVnCV9ccg2DCKH4d?e=2iqg8J

Device name JOES-DESKTOP-072019

Full device name

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.85 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB

Device ID 0201820E-6Bxx-47E5-9B71-xxxxxxx456F4

Product ID

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 21H2

Installed on ‎1/‎17/‎2022

OS build 22000.1281

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0

Any help is appreciated,

JoeF

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T22:55:53+00:00

    I was wondering if you are trying to upgrade without being connected to the internet. I ask because the install tries to download updates 5 times, then quits trying. Certain versions of the Install media may need some downloads to bring the install up to the current version.

    Info SP Search attempt 5 of 5

    Info SP Searching for dynamic updates

    Info SP Update types:

    Info SP Driver updates

    Info SP Category IDs:

    Info SP 405706ed-f1d7-47ea-91e1-eb8860039715

    Info SP 34f268b4-7e2d-40e1-8966-8bb6ea3dad27

    Info SP 0ba562e6-a6ba-490d-bdce-93a770ba8d21

    Info SP 06da2f0c-7937-4e28-b46c-a37317eade73

    Info SP c70f1038-66ac-443d-9e58-ac22e891e4fb

    Info SP b7f52cfb-c9e9-4481-9bc0-c8b4e208ba39

    Info DU DU::CDUSession::Search: Beginning asynchronous search

    Info DU DU::CDUSession::Search: Ending asynchronous search

    Error DU DU::CDUSession::Search: Failed to end the asynchronus search. hr = 0x8024401f

    Warning SP pDUSearch: DUSearch failed. hr = 0x8024401f

    Error SP CDownloadDUUpdates::DoExecuteInternal: Failed to search for updates. hr = 0x8024401f

    Error SP CSetupPlatform::DownloadDynamicUpdates: Failed to download updates. Error: 0x8024401F

    Error MOUPG DUImage: Failed to execute driver search and download [0x8024401f]

    Info MOUPG Current: [1500] Total:[1500]

    Info MOUPG MoSetupPlatform: Release Identifier -> [DUImage]

    Info MOUPG MoSetupPlatform: Releasing Setup Platform object...

    Info SP Releasing the setup platform

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-17T17:11:26+00:00

    Sorry to hear it ended up like this. If you change your mind later on and run the 22H2 installer, you may post the logs here. I'm subscribed to this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T15:16:27+00:00

    Well, apparently or by coincidence, this wasn't a good idea. :(

    I left my computer on signed in as local administrator while I was installing Win11 from the ISO image. I left it when it was about 84%. Came back in this morning and there is no data going to the monitors. CPU was / is on, but no monitors.

    I tapped around on the keyboard to wake it up, but nothing. I would have listened for the HDDs to start making noise but I built this with 2TB_SSD's. They don't make noise...

    I pulled my video card out and rebooted the computer with the on-board graphics but I don't even get anything to login to the BIOS. So now I'm at the point of TS the MoBo to see if I can get life back in to this. Have to start pulling RAM to see if one of those smoked and is holding up the process.... ???? errrrr ;(

    Good thing I'm anal about backups....... Currently on my laptop

    Back on the Desktop. Had to pull 2 sticks of RAM out.

    So when it came back up now, it was still setup to login to Local Administrator where I left it last night.

    here's the screen:

    Is there any chance you can tell if the RAM was causing my issues?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-17T03:09:00+00:00

    So I logged out and signed in back in as LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR and went to system updates, downloaded the update and.....

    same thing as always... "we have encountered an error and backing out all updates".... bla bla bla.

    Any idea if the error code and description (SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE) are the same as before? This is the first time I have seen the setupact.log 0x51B error.

    I guess I can log back in local and run those log programs and post those here as well so you can see the difference if any.

    I'll work on that and try to post those yet tonight.

    Ok. Please also compare the Local Policies/URA settings with the SS I posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments