We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

Anonymous
2023-03-23T20:01:10+00:00

When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive.

App comes up no problem but after checking my system for available drives it returns the error
"We can't create the recovery drive" A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

I checked the forum for help and saw a reference to regagentc /info so I ran it and compared to the one posted mine actually had a drive listed. I disconnected the drive and restarted the system; but got the same error and information.

So basically, how can I create a new recovery drive? How would anyone create a new one if say their old one became unusable? There must be some information somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Pamela

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-23T21:01:01+00:00

Hi, MissPam_Samm,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

This error is usually related to the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", sometimes creating the recovery drive with this option unchecked first and then recreating with this option checked may fix the problem.

1-Click on Start, search for the recovery drive, and click on that

2-In the Recovery Drive wizard uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" option

3-Click on Next

4-Select the USB drive that you intend to use as a recovery drive

5-Click Next to continue

6-Click the Create button to confirm the action. The utility will format the drive and copy the required files to the storage device

7-Regardless of whether you see an error or the process completes successfully, don’t click the Finish or Close button

8-Instead, click on the back button in the upper left corner

9-Now check the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

10-Then click on Next and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:20:14+00:00

    Becasue it kept failing and the 'fix' did nothing, I let it complete without the system files.

    Amazingly it used 31gb on a 32gb usb!!!

    So I tried again, with a 64gb usb and system files enabled.

    It failed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:09:58+00:00

    Recovery used only 18gb of a 32gb usb on my last win11 system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-05T16:07:34+00:00

    Windows 11 23H2

    I have 3 new or newly upgraded systems to do. The first was a upgraded HP-Envy, no problem.

    But even followed this list, but still ended up with same error on the Hp-Prodesk.

    Using 32gb PNY usb stick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T02:28:11+00:00

    Thanks, that is the classic way to do so. Another way would be via the graphical "disk management" tool that's also built into Windows. Right click on the unwanted partition there (which should have been assigned a letter and be titled RECOVERY) and select delete volume from the menu that pops up. You can then re-partition and format the USB drive anew as you wish.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments