Ok. Double-clicking on a MathApp and a MathType entry might show the error message details. If they point to a specific DLL, we may try replacing it. Let's see.
Math applications not running in Windows 11
Greetings,
I am having a tedious issue with a couple of Math applications on a brand-new Windows 11 desktop. Microsoft Mathematics and MaThType 6.9d show the splash screen but then nothing happens: they do not show up. Net Framework 3.5 is turned on and Windows update does not show anything left to install. Here are the device and Windows specifications.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100F CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.1696
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1696.0
On other PCs - both Windows 11 and Windows 10 - I do not have this issue. Because it affects two Math applications, I guess it must be related to a common cause. But what could it be? I'm really stuck if I cannot use them, in particular mathtype.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2023-03-20T08:49:43+00:00 Here is the log for mathtype
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgBRQ6GYkPGlgyUsxiRC4DRV518b?e=6wjNGu
The WER report is attached. I do not know if I can export some details, there is no "menu" in this report.
I'll try to play with the fonts, hoping not to screw up the system... But my system is multilingual, including Japanese. I cannot reset fonts to English only, otherwise several files and apps will no nolger be accessible.
-
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2023-03-20T08:32:13+00:00 Other than the per-user fonts, here are some other differences I found:
The "FontSubstitutes" key has some additional entries. The extra items are in non-english characters.
If you'd like to remove the extra entries, you may apply FontSub.reg. Note: It also resets your per-user Fonts registry key, which is empty by default. Create a Restore Point first if required.
In a default installation, the value "SQMEnabled" doesn't exist under this key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Mathematics\Standalone\4.0\
But it exists in your system. SQMEnabled is set to DWORD 0x0000001.
After reading this file "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll" Microsoft Math generates an error report (Windows Error Reporting).
The View Reliability History in the classic Control Panel should show more information about the WER report.
By the way, the per-user fonts can be removed via Windows RE.
Tracing "MaThType 6.9d" might be a good idea, when you're free.
-
Anonymous
2023-03-20T07:39:44+00:00 Sorry, I'm not used to OneDrive. Hope this link works https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgBRQ6GYkPGlgySSzLJF-BuvOsx_?e=8hkbOe
-
Anonymous
2023-03-20T07:31:14+00:00 I cannot delete most of the files from %localappdata%\microsoft\windows\fonts "because this file is open in System". The few fonts I could delete - not in use by System - did not fix the problem.
FYI, on another PC where the apps work correctly the fold is almost empty - just a few additional fonts I had added.