Logon intermittently bypasses Windows Hello Fingerprint

Anonymous
2023-08-19T22:17:42+00:00

Hello,i

I have an issue with Windows Hello on my 2 week old LG Gram laptop running Windows 11 that I have yet to find anyone else having, and thus I've been unable to find a 'fix' that works.

After I set up Windows Hello Fingerprint, when setting up the new laptop, it worked perfect for the first couple of days. Then for some unknown reason, it decided to bypass the Windows Hello Fingerprint.

In the past two weeks, at each new logon sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it bypasses the Fingerprint and says I need to put in the PIN instead. But the real issue I'm having is that sometimes it COMPLETELY bypasses Windows Hello altogether and goes straight to the Windows Desktop...no fingerprint, no PIN, just a straight logon.

I have tried every solution given for those that have had their Windows Hello stop working. None of those solutions work. Mainly because my Windows Hello does work. Just not all the time. It can work perfect for several logons, then suddenly not at all. Shut down, start back up (even Restart) and it can work fine again. For a few more logons, that is, until it decides to bypass Windows Hello again and go straight to the desktop.

What I'm hoping is that someone will read this that had the same intermittent problem with Windows Hello bypassing biometrics or PIN and going straight to the desktop and tell me what they did to fix it. Again all the fixes for those where it no longer works completely (driver, Microsoft Account, Remove Windows Hello and add back, etc, etc, etc) aren't a solution in this case of Windows Hello that works intermittently.

My sanity is almost blown with this issue...I hope someone can save me. Thank you in advance.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-02T19:19:23+00:00

    I’m glad this helped and appreciate your feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-13T23:37:33+00:00

    Thank you, Wallyg8r. Interesting that there's no documentation in the box about this - i.e., 'NOTE - The fingerprint read upon pressing the power button to power on the laptop will also be used to log in to the laptop. Keep this in mind when selecting a finger to use for Windows login. If it is the same finger used for powering on the laptop, this may cause the laptop to automatically login to Windows."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:21:21+00:00

    Teamwork!

    Give MicroSuck the finger!

    LOL

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T21:14:50+00:00

    TheManiac,

    The LG Gram doesn't really allow the same finger to be scanned more than once. It won't go all the way to complete before it says, use another finger, or this finger has already been scanned. You have to do several fingers only once. I posted the solution to the issue in this thread in my response to Cage0022.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T17:03:34+00:00

    Quite welcome.

    Fingerprint login from power on doesn't always work - but that's fine with me. Almost prefer that that method didn't work - as I might power on my laptop and walk away for a moment - potentially leaving it unsecure. BUT, if I can confirm that this is what's at the root of our issue, at least I'll know that if I'm powering on my laptop where there's others around (i.e., not at home), to press the power button with an 'unprinted' finger. Look forward to your testing results and anyone else that wants to test this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments