Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in

Anonymous
2023-11-07T21:54:48+00:00

As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:

It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.

How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T16:43:31+00:00

    Unbelievable how stupid this change is...Please Microsoft, FIX THIS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T22:07:42+00:00

    Sorry but since TechNet basically died, this is the forum the majority of people use. When you search for answers on a search engine, this is the forum where you find threads. I guarantee you tons IT professionals are coming into these forums on a regular basis.

    However I also don't think any IT professional is expecting the "Microsoft volunteers" to come in here and fix this issue for us. They are honestly generally worthless for fixing most issues. Their responses are usually no better than the junky SEO-optimized garbage troubleshooting websites you come across when searching through search engines. IT professionals are posting in this forum to connect with other IT professionals who might be having a similar issue to discover if anyone has found fixes for it.

    The Learn forum gets very little traffic. There's much more traffic coming in to Answers. Almost everything I've ever posted in Learn has gone into a black hole and never seen a response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T07:27:24+00:00

    This is exactly my use case : Yubikey !

    If at least, the "Security key" was the default / First option ....

    In order to avoid to "click", I tend to do :

    [TAB] + [SPACE] + [TAB] + [SPACE] which, switch to "Security key", then select it, then switch to "Next" then select it...

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T22:51:32+00:00

    I have the same issue with firefox, any idea how to fix it for firefox?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T20:37:42+00:00

    Edit: I haven't checked Local Group Policy Editor in a long time...is there an administrative setting that controls phone passkeys? I think there is one governing USB security keys.

    I found this policy in \Windows Components\Microsoft Secondary Authentication Factor\, which, from the description, sounds like it would want to be disabled, for the purposes of the question at hand.

    That said, after having changed this, the option still persists. I rooted around a little more in the GP editor, but couldn't find anything else that looks like it'd do it. If anyone smarter than I can figure out if there is a GP to do it, or reg otherwise, please do let us know. I use Bluetooth audio solely, so just "turning off Bluetooth" is not a viable option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments