Defrag runs constantly

Anonymous
2023-11-27T07:50:16+00:00

Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time the PC is idle for more than 60 seconds?? How do I defrage the system files which need defragging?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-12-12T02:27:59+00:00

I'm referring to how your computer is crashing and has to be restarted, usually multiple times a day. It's either you or someone is force restarting by switching off the power or pressing the reset button, or the power supply is faulty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-08T14:17:21+00:00

    I ran a checkdisk and it seems better, but still runs up everything on Task Manager. I did another Sysinternals scan, not sure it shows anything changed though:-

    sysinternals scan 2023 12 08.arn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. _AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-12-07T22:08:34+00:00

    Thanks. as the computer is bogging down anytime a process is performing disk read/write I'd be checking the hard drive. See if your drive manufacturer has a diagnostic tool.

    Follow with, from an admin Command Prompt chkdsk C: /f /r

    Let it run the check at the next boot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T12:24:40+00:00

    here you go:-

    sysinternals scan.arn

    let me know if the link works ok

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T06:45:47+00:00

    I spoke too soon, antimalware has been on with no scan running. I saved the autoruns scan, I will attempt to upload it later

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments