Defrag runs constantly

Anonymous
2023-11-27T07:50:16+00:00

Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time the PC is idle for more than 60 seconds?? How do I defrage the system files which need defragging?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-12-12T02:27:59+00:00

I'm referring to how your computer is crashing and has to be restarted, usually multiple times a day. It's either you or someone is force restarting by switching off the power or pressing the reset button, or the power supply is faulty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. _AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-12-12T07:42:23+00:00

    Is there a method for checking PSU's?

    I guess with a multimeter though exactly how I'm not sure. Swapping in a known good and adequately powerful PSU would work, though not practical if you don't already have one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-12T07:36:51+00:00

    That would tie up with the symptoms. I will check the connectors again, they could be loose. Is there a method for checking PSU's?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T17:59:52+00:00

    It rarely stops completely, but it will start update several times a day, then diagnostics including defrag (which has now been blocked), every time I open a new tab in Opera the power usage in task manager goes into the red, task scheduler and diagnostic policy service start and use most of the memory for no reason and antimalware service executable is always 3-6%, but will run randomly taking 4-5gb even after I have run a scan.

    Individually they just slow everything down, but these can occur concurrently or simultaneously.

    I have the active hours set at 06:00 to 22:00

    My first thought was that windows diagnostic was running every process in error, built I installed a clean copy of windows and it didn't fix it.

    I did try to deactivate or delete triggers for each process, but that was not allowed.

    Antimalware service executable is part of the antivirus so I can't really delete that.

    I did notice in task scheduler, some of the triggers are random, but still cant be changed, even with administrator privileges.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. _AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-12-10T22:01:19+00:00

    Under what circumstances is the computer losing power and crashing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments