Why is my windows saying my password is expired?

Anonymous
2024-02-26T14:28:35+00:00

Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-20T13:14:58+00:00

    This advice and much of the advice in this thread, applies to Pro and Enterprise editions and NOT Home edition. Follow the guidance given here and you will be asked to tick boxes or make selections that just DO NOT EXIST in Home edition.

    I have been using Home edition for many years, with a Local account NOT a MS account. All of a sudden I'm being prompted to change my password (btw current security thinking is that frequent pw changing is a bad idea but I'll leave you to read up on that). Annoying or what?

    Tenforums website seems to have the answer, Option 2. Open a command prompt and issue

    wmic UserAccount set PasswordExpires=False

    described in detail here...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/87379-enable-disable-password-expiration-local-accounts-windows-10-a.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Les Ferch 10,371 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-01T00:42:54+00:00

    This is not working for me beacuse I am not able to go past the first screen which asks for the log in details this a new laptop that I have never used so there is no way I set the password in the first place

    If you are at a prompt that has two password fields and a right-pointing arrow, enter whatever you want for a password in both fields (i.e. same thing in both fields) and then click the right-pointing arrow. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T01:47:47+00:00

    This worked for me but, if youve never had a password to begin with, try leaving the password blank and then the new passwords should be your new password

    and then i was able to get right in

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Les Ferch 10,371 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-10-13T14:36:13+00:00

    Just type in the new password and reenter it. Leave the old password window blank and click next. It just worked for me😂

    Just a little clarification that might help others....

    By "next", I guess you meant the small right-pointing arrow (unless your Windows 11 had a slightly different interface).

    I did not see a "next" button, but there was a small right pointing arrow in the password confirmation field (after I entered a new password in both fields). Clicking that arrow then logged me in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more