Just be aware that the backup and restore on the Microsoft Authenticator is fundamentally broken for IT Admin use. The backup will only work for up to around 60 accounts before it just stops backing up. There is no fix or workaround for this, Microsoft has been aware of it for years and has done nothing. There needs to be either the ability to back up hundreds or even thousands of accounts, either automatically or a one off dump to OneDrive (business) or the ability to do a direct transfer from one device to another like Google Authenticator can do. I have been forced to maintain a second device and duplicate MFA registration on each of them rather than risk losing access to every account I have added in the past 18m.
Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)
I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-12-03T10:25:40+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-10-09T13:00:43+00:00 Just remove your Microsoft account from Authenticator on your new phone and you will get back to the point where you can restore from the backup from your old phone.
-
Anonymous
2024-07-21T13:54:51+00:00 This topic helped me backup my keys to another MS Authenticator app on a different phone.
In addition I was also able to extract the keys and export them to Aegis Authenticator app using this guide: https://gist.github.com/chowder/2ead734d60d84d4d15034fcce81aaaf9 This required a rooted android emulator with a play store, but that is the only way that I know off to export keys to a non Microsoft app.
Additionally Aegis can also import Google Authenticator QR codes which most Authenticator apps cannot read. And it can even import Authenticator QR codes from an image file, so you don't need a camera and can use a screenshot image instead. Aegis exports standard QR codes that all Authenticator apps work with.
The reason I exported them is so I no longer have to use Google or Microsoft apps that force users to stay in their ecosystem. I exported some codes to a secure pin protected airgapped hardware authenticator as a secure backup in case my phone breaks or gets lost.
Remember: 2 factor increases your chance of losing access to your account. Always backup your second factor or add an additional alternative second factor. -
Anonymous
2024-09-10T13:13:29+00:00 I guess this is for Android phones. Those options are not available in iOS
-
Anonymous
2024-08-26T07:14:44+00:00 That worked for me. Thank you very much!