Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T13:27:02+00:00

    I managed (finally) to solve the issue in this way:

    1. I went to my Microsoft account security info page: https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info
    2. I added the sign-in method via authenticator app (Select "Add sign-in method" and select "Authenticator App")
    3. By following the wizard the wished QR code appeared. In my new phone I opened my account and scanned the QR code.

    Ta-da! The account was set up!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-27T15:06:01+00:00

    I just did this (because I also missed it initially) and it worked. Once you do remove account, it gives the 'Restore Backup' at the bottom and I was able to successfully get everything from my old phone.

    Thanks for posting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T02:09:53+00:00

    I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

    1. On Your First Device (Backup Source)
      • Ensure backup is enabled in the app’s settings.
      • Make sure the backup has synced completely to the cloud.
    2. On Your Second Device (Restore Target)
      • Uninstall the app.
      • Reinstall it from the official store.
      • Accept the privacy policy but do not log in.
      • Choose the last option or the third option to "Restore from Backup."

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-20T05:14:22+00:00

    Yes, delete the cache and the data from Authenticator on the new device and you will be able to restore (assuming you still have the old device to authenticate to the account with). And then it won't work, because you don't have some QR code.

    I will never trust any microsoft security system again. Completely incompetence not to actually let backup work, or to provide a menu item for restore!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-15T14:32:31+00:00

    I followed the steps removed Authenticator on my new device and reinstalled and selected Restore Backup Option.. I was able to restore the account however each account shows a message "Action Required" and the action is to "Scan the QR Code provided by your Organization to finish recovering this account".. Do I need to connect with each of these accounts and basically recreate them or what am I missing here?

    Thanks..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments