Why is the scroll bar in Windows 11 so narrow? In what world is this an improvement?

Anonymous
2024-06-27T01:49:22+00:00

I wish I had blocked the forced "upgrade" to Windows 11.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-28T01:28:31+00:00

    I want to thank everyone for adding these comments - this is unexpected. I did indeed try editing the registry. Unfortunately I found it affected only those apps that were not really a problem. The worst offenders were not affected at all, the narrowest of the scroll bars stayed exactly as they were. I am guessing the problem arose because these programs set the scroll bar width to a certain number of pixels, and on a 4K screen it is just not adequate.

    Possibly this will catch someone's attention at Microsoft...

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T23:45:37+00:00

    Obviously Microsoft have adopted the Tump mentality of not listening to anybody or even hearing what everybody is saying. All the young developers & system geeks with great vision and dexterity are ignoring the needs of older or impaired users. Just wait until they get a bit older......., we will all be dead, but they will inherit and experience their own design problems. PLEASE give us the ability to easily customise the scroll bar width for ALL standard windows apps via the display settings (not via the registry). Make it a priority for the July 2025 windows update throw some resources at it and get it done. You will hear the world of Windows users breathe a sigh of relief and see them smile as they walk down the street.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T11:54:47+00:00

    Microsoft (and some of the posters here) figure you can "scroll anywhere" but it's a rubbish answer and ignores people like me who have visual impairments. To me it's an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen. I hope someone actually does it. The accessibility solution, as many have pointed out, only affect some applications.

    I am not sure if the registry edit works on the many unaffected apps, but if it does I may have to go crawling to our IT people and beg for something they just won't want to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-18T07:36:26+00:00

    I've just killed all the system apps. Directory Opus in place of Explorer. Start 11 in place of the start menu. Chrome to remove edge. The old notepad.exe from Win Vista in place of notepad. I still have the issue that I can't see which window has focus and end up typing in the wrong window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T16:34:01+00:00

    Why is this blocked? I am unable to increase the size by toggle. This is ridiculous

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments