Why is the scroll bar in Windows 11 so narrow? In what world is this an improvement?

Anonymous
2024-06-27T01:49:22+00:00

I wish I had blocked the forced "upgrade" to Windows 11.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T14:15:03+00:00

    Design that compromises usability is bad design. Stop trying to force everyone into the One Right Answer. Leave that to Apple.

    Let's see you scroll-wheel your way through a 300 page e-textbook.

    If I have to edit the registry to fix your bad design, you failed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-27T22:26:27+00:00

    I'm on a laptop. There's no scroll wheel. What now?

    Hate the narrow scroll bar.

    In fact, can't think of anything I like about Windows 11 over Windows 10. Or Windows 7 for that matter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-23T17:20:15+00:00

    And, I don't have a scroll wheel on my laptop touchpad. Microsoft has assumed a narrow case example as a reason for narrowing the scroll bars. I did the regedit mod but it doesn't apply to all windows I encounter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-23T17:56:13+00:00

    I use a graphics tablet almost exclusively, so I do not have a scroll wheel. Microsoft should not make assumptions about how people will use their software and give us easy to change options for things like scroll bars so we can do things like set them not to collapse when we do not have the cursor over them and make them wider so they are easy to use.

    Certainly, have defaults for what you think the majority want, but you should always make them easy to change for the minority!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-03T11:05:59+00:00

    This fix worked. I understand the scroll wheel up and down but when its the left to right having a skinny bar is useless so have reverted back to the wider that is far more user friendly

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments