I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T03:30:59+00:00

    I just discovered something that may be the reason I could not get the OS to install from those USBs. My computer seems to have confused drives D: the 500 GB SSD with drive G: a 2 TB Hard Drive. I have attached 2 screenshots from Device Manager and one of the File Explorer. Notice that the first Device Mgr picture shows the Samsung SSD 500GB as drive G: with 2 TB capacity. And the second picture shows the ST2000NM0033 SeaGate Hard Drive as drive D: 500 GB SSD. If I go to File Explorer it shows drive D: as a 500 GB SSD and Drive G: as a 2 TB Hard Drive. This is as they should be. I have no idea why the device manager has them confused. The only thing I can think of is that both of those drives are SATA.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T00:36:47+00:00

    I will be sure of that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-24T17:02:43+00:00

    Sure, you could do that. However, before resetting the 1 TB drive, please be sure that the 500 GB one boots fine (with the 1 TB one disabled in UEFI) after the cloning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-24T16:54:25+00:00

    I have Samsung Magician which will clone one Samsung SSD to another Samsung SSD which is my case. I have used that before and it worked well. I don't remember if it left the source drive in tact but I feel certain that it did. If so I would rather use that than the Macrium. It should produce the same results. Then like you say I can disable the 1 TB, boot to the 500 GB then do the reset. What I might actually like to do is disable the 500 GB and boot to the 1 TB and do the reset there so my new OS will be on the 1TB M.2. Can I do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments