I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-21T14:48:12+00:00

    I entered System and an 'app' with a PC icon shows up. It is System Information. I can't do a screen snip because it disappears every ti me I try. There is an option to Run as Administrator but not a Recovery option. The other results are adverts.

    Trying to sort out a problem like this is annoying but without a properly working touchpad it's intolerable.

    Resetting the PC was supposed to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-21T11:55:06+00:00

    I'm really sorry about this, before going further, let's try doing a rollback if it's possible.

    Press Windows + I to open Settings.

    Go to System → Recovery.

    If a rollback option is available, you should see a button under the Recovery options section saying something like Go back to the previous version of Windows.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-21T10:51:15+00:00

    I'm having a meltdown. My browsers were supposed to manage my passwords for me and I relied on that. I also thought Reset, keeping my stuff was a safe option. How wrong was I. When I had fewer accounts I could remember them. I can't any longer.

    Until this minute, the touchpad has worked since the reset. The only good thing about it. It has now stopped working so I'm back to square one.

    I want concentrate on setting up my eight emails in Thunderbird. I can then sign into accounts as I receive emails.

    Following your instructions I found both Tb ird and Firefox profile with 2 folders in each profile. Both folders are dated after the Reset so they are no good - or are they?

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-21T01:18:05+00:00

    I understand how stressful and frustrating this experience has been, especially after you’ve had successful resets on your Windows 10 PC.

    The key difference could be due to how Windows 11 handles resetting compared to Windows 10. In Windows 11, even though the "Keep my files" option is chosen, some apps and settings may still be affected, especially if any issues occur during the process. The slowness and interruptions you experienced might indicate the reset wasn’t as smooth as it should have been, which can lead to partial loss of settings like bookmarks and saved passwords.

    If the bookmark manager shortcut didn’t work in Firefox, try this:

    Open Firefox.

    Click on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) at the top right.

    Click Bookmarks → Manage Bookmarks to access the bookmarks manager.

    If it's still not possible, lets check manually.

    Locate Your Old Profile Folder:

    Press Windows + R, type %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, and press Enter.

    Check if there are multiple folders here. Each folder corresponds to a different profile.

    If you find an old profile, you can copy it to a backup folder.

    Restore the Profile:

    Open Firefox.

    Type about into the address bar and press Enter.

    You’ll see a list of profiles. You can try creating a new profile and linking it to the old profile folder (the one you found in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles).

    For Thunderbird:

    Locate Thunderbird Profile Folder:

    Press Windows + R, type %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles, and press Enter.

    Look for folders in this location that may be your old profile.

    Restore the Profile:

    Open Thunderbird.

    Go to Help → More Troubleshooting Information → Profile Folder → Open Folder.

    Copy and paste the old profile folder contents (if you found it) into this new profile folder.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments