I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,290 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-20T21:06:37+00:00

    Thank you Charity.

    Horice replied before you but I had a question for him that you answered.

    Cloud Download (downloads Windows from Microsoft servers, requires internet)
    Local Reinstall (reinstalls Windows using files from your PC)

    I will choose Cloud download as my system may have errors.

    I will now continue and hope I can report all is well with the Reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-20T20:57:15+00:00

    Thank you for coming to my aid.

    Yes, I just found it but I no sooner start than I have a dilemma. I didn't have to choose in Win 10. Is Cloud download from my tiny cloud in one drive? If I select local install an I not risking an error on my PC reinstalling again?

    Offering choices is not always best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Solamillo Charity 20,290 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-20T20:37:57+00:00

    Hello there! I am Charity, I'm an Independent Advisor. I'm glad to help you today!

    Thank you for the information. Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.

    In the Settings app, click on System on the left-hand side.

    Scroll down and select Recovery.

    Under Recovery Options, find the Reset this PC section and click on the Reset PC button.

    A window will pop up asking what you want to do. Choose Keep my files to ensure that your personal files remain intact.

    (It will remove installed apps and drivers and revert settings to their defaults, but your personal files will remain.)

    You will be prompted to choose how to reinstall Windows:

    Cloud Download (downloads Windows from Microsoft servers, requires internet)

    Local Reinstall (reinstalls Windows using files from your PC)

    Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Kind Regards,

    Charity (Active hours 5PM~10AM GMT+08:00)


    Please note that things might need more than one reply to completely resolve your issue, as it will completely depend on the complexity of the question and the amount of detail that you have provided me. I'll be with you until we resolve your problem!

    If you find the answers above helpful, please mark it as an answer. If not, please tap on "Reply" :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-20T20:32:44+00:00

    Have you looked at Settings>System>Recovery? See example image below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments