How to downgrade from Windows 11 24H2 to 23H2 without losing any data

Anonymous
2024-10-30T13:25:39+00:00

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 24H2 since October 4 2024 using it's installation assistant, but after nearly a month of using it, I've ran into having bugs, issues and slow Windows startup speeds.

I can't stand with bugs on 24H2 anymore, so my last option is to probably roll back to Windows 11 23H2, but the "rollback option" was greyed out for over 10 days.

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 11 23H2 without losing any data? Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

57 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-15T00:46:06+00:00

    Hello Microsoft. Can you hotfix this so called "Update" ? My Computer is in serious troubles by all the hard reboots i have to make, All updates was done, with 23h2 i dont have that problem.

    I expect you fix this soon !

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-11T18:13:23+00:00

    I'm also having this issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1 laptop... I initiated the 24H2 update yesterday morning around 9am and I left my laptop on overnight to finish the installation since it didn't finish at all that same day - not even the download stage was finished before I went to bed at 1am this morning - when I woke up this morning at 8am, the download stage was done and the install stage was at 39%..... it's been almost 2 full hours since I woke up and it only progressed by a single percentage making it 40%... this is a prime example of why massive software companies MUST double and possibly even triple check their software releases before they move it from Beta to Stable... the average computer owner doesn't usually have the money to simply replace or repair a PC that's been nearly bricked by a faulty operating system update....

    Also....

    Holy freaking hell peoples... please have at least some pride in your public image... most of these replies are so infested with crazy spelling issues and insane grammar issues that they took me several read through attempts to figure out what you were trying to say.... many of them sounded like the writers were trying to use some weird false L33T Sp3ak... using L33T Sp3ak was considered "cool" back in the 1990's but it just makes you look dumb in the 2020's....

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-27T09:58:21+00:00

    Unfortunately, even downloading the ISO from Microsoft will only get me 24h2 now. Which, seeing that it’s one of their failed updates that broke Windows and forced me to spend a day reinstalling from scratch with total file loss, is pretty painful even before I discovered how many hundreds of pounds worth of software and hardware no longer work on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-27T07:55:01+00:00

    I have the same problem within minutes of Updating on the 26 of December 2024. Thought I'd wait for better times. Usually later things are better. Well are they?

    Aparantely one can recover to the last Update by going to

    Windows

    Settings>System>Recovery>

    Recovery Options>Go Back

    But I am not sure if it searches for a back up one makes or a Windows Instalations backup.

    I also do not know if it starts immediately without explaing the procedure, and this could be an issue if one has not made any Backups.

    I personally stoped doing back ups a long time ago in other versions because I have organised my Computer in such a way that I can recover most things.

    Only this time due to the new arquitecture of Windows 11, and lack of space I have been delaying things. So I just lost a whole bunch of very important copies of health Files, from Xrays, CAT, Medical Certificates, personal documents, Invoices. A nightmare.

    If you are lucky with this procedure please report. Thank you.

    Seasonal Greetings and A Good entry in 2025. Good health cause Health is Wealth.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T05:31:14+00:00

    do iIhave to use a usb in order to downgrade if my 10 day window is passed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments