windows 11 version 24H2 not updating

Anonymous
2024-10-21T02:42:27+00:00

i keep trying to update the latest one which is windows 11 version 24H2, but i keep getting the " We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm not that good with computers so if someone can help me resolve this issue that would be dope!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-10-24T12:55:21+00:00

Hi ,

Search for cmd. Press-and-hold or right-click on Command Prompt in the results, and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type mountvol y: /s and then hit Enter. This will add the Y: drive letter to access the System Partition.

Switch to the Y drive by typing Y: and press Enter. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts. Once there, type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then Enter to continue.

Credits.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-we-c...

Hope this helps.

If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T22:08:13+00:00

    This worked for me and was fairly easy to do. Thank you very much for providing this solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T13:33:40+00:00

    I have AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition. I did everything with this one, didn't have to pay for premium. If it prompts you press cancel or something, premium is not necessary.

    I have these 3 partitions that are important here:

    Image

    • I moved the 3rd (C:), so that there's unallocated space before it, and after the 2nd partition (reserved)
      • I pressed apply, and waited for a long reboot
    • I moved the reserved partition, so that there's unallocated space before it, and after the 1st partition (EFI)
    • I extended the 1st partition (EFI)
    • Windows Update went smoothly after

    All operations went fine, and I didn't need AOMEI premium.

    Hi, after seeing your this reply I decided to try it but it's asking me to turn off Bitlocker? Should I do it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T13:22:52+00:00

    I had the same issue. The fix was to use EaseUS Partition Manager to

    increase the size of the EFI System Partition from 100MB to 1000MB

    Now able to download the latest Win 11 24H2 Update

    What's your disk type GPT or MBR. Mine is GPT and I'm unable to extend the partition size (It's 100 MB now). I tried using EaseUS and MiniTool but couldn't update the partition. I'm facing the similar issue and I know about deleting fonts folder but I'm scared as I researched what happens when fonts folder is deleted in Windows. So should I proceed with deleting Fonts Folder option? As I've seen lots of videos and articles suggesting the same fix. Have a good day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-19T08:13:44+00:00

    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22631.5189] (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\System32>mountvol Y: /s The directory is not empty. C:\Windows\System32>move Y:\EFI\UpdateCapsule\CapsuleUpdateFile1000.bin c:\ 1 file(s) moved. C:\Windows\System32>dir Y:\ Volume in drive Y has no label. Volume Serial Number is 0880-79CD Directory of Y:\ 12/18/2024 11:37 AM EFI 0 File(s) 0 bytes 1 Dir(s) 50,210,816 bytes free

    I have 36mb more space now

    Ok, please try the 24H2 upgrade.


    Before running the Windows 11 24H2 setup, follow these steps to ensure a smooth upgrade experience.

    • Enable Memory Integrity. To enable memory integrity in Windows, go to Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details > Memory integrity. If it shows any incompatible drivers, post the screenshot here.
    • To avoid third-party software interference, perform a clean boot on the system before running the setup. A clean boot is the process of starting Windows without loading any third-party applications or services. For more information, please refer to the Microsoft article.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd
    (Step 3 in the above link is very important. You need to first enable "Hide all Microsoft Services" before clicking "Disable all".)

    • Uninstall 3rd party antivirus if installed; you can reinstall it after the upgrade. After uninstalling it, restart Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments