How did you revert back to 23H2? My Recovery choices are "Reset this PC" which reinstalls 24H2 but that's what created the Windows Hello problem, or Advanced start up from a disc or USB drive. I am setting up a new HP Elitebook that updated automatically before I could change the setting.
Just updated to Win11 24H2 and it has killed Windows Hello!
I have an HP All-in-One 27-a275na.
All was working well under Win11 23H2 and just downloaded the ISO for Win11 24H2. Kept only my data to get the benefit of having the best possible install and then reinstalled only the latest versions of the apps I wanted.
Have checked for corrupted files (none found), deleted the Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device in Device Manager & Rebooted.
On restart the machine fails to start camera and asks for PIN and then when I try to setup Windows Hello Facial Recognition I get the Error Message " Sorry, something went wrong. Couldn't turn on Camera. Make sure it's working properly.
On checking the camera app it all appears to be working properly, and the windows settings allow apps to contact it!
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2025-01-18T04:58:08+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-12-13T14:40:42+00:00 Thank you for your reply, but I had noted your previous comment and disabled fast start, it did not help. I reverted back to 23H2 and Hello facial recognition started again. Annoyingly, my laptop just restarted and reapplied 24H2 and it stopped working again, so I have had to go back to 23H2 once more.
I have now turned off "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available", so I hope that doesn't happen again, at least, not until MS fix the problem.
(hope they bother to monitor these posts)
-
Anonymous
2024-12-06T08:11:21+00:00 Could be that despite restarting your PC you haven't done a full restart. Suggest you read this: https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=02344a2a82df5b99d3003291c5bedbdd8079061f3b7583b905a06f3035f32c82JmltdHM9MTczMzQ0MzIwMA&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=4&fclid=0292deb8-6232-61e2-307f-cbb3633460aa&psq=windows+fast+startup+disable&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cud2luZG93c2NlbnRyYWwuY29tL3NvZnR3YXJlLWFwcHMvd2luZG93cy0xMS9ob3ctdG8tZW5hYmxlLW9yLWRpc2FibGUtZmFzdC1zdGFydHVwLW9uLXdpbmRvd3MtMTE&ntb=1
-
Anonymous
2024-12-05T13:37:29+00:00 HP Pavilion x360 - 14-ba104na
To add to this thread, after having absolutely no problems with Windows Hello Face Recognition, I have just updated to 24H2 , and Hello Face Recognition immediately failed.
I have removed and rescanned the hardware.
I have re-downloaded and installed the 2018 drivers from HP.
I have rebooted several times.Nothing works, although it should be noted that if I use the Windows Camera application, 2024.2408.1.0, I get an image.
If I attempt(ed) to Improve Face Recognition, I was asked for confirm my PIN, but then it 'failed to start camera'
Someone mentioned a theory about the Hello data being corrupt, so I thought I good idea to remove Face Recognition and start again ... now if I go into Sign-in options, I am informed 'This option is currently unavailable'
Given the evidence, it would appear that 24H2 breaks the relationship between Hello and the IR drivers. Perhaps the Biometric device driver is at fault?
-
Anonymous
2024-11-25T20:16:03+00:00 Hi thanks you, but i cant find this drivers, i try update surface firmwares pack found on MS surface pages but same...