Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T15:20:13+00:00

    Many Sad, Much Fail

    After downloading, find the Windows 10 ISO file on your PC, right-click and select “Mount”. If the option is not available, select “Open With” and “Windows Explorer”

    When I create the ISO and right-click I don't get option for "Mount" or "Open with File Explorer" see screenshot.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vn3aYPrAh8rHLWlgDwD_d179LuFC5lZ7/view?usp=sharing When I try to burn ISO with Cyberlink or Windows Burning tool command it tells me that the DVD doesn't have enough space, which is odd as I have burned Win 10 ISO's before.

    I tried installing 10 from prior ISO's but none will. They are all old, and include a Win 10 Tech Preview that I previously used to upgrade an Asus Netbook From XP to 10 before 10 was released to public, A Win 10 Home I burned to upgrade someone else's laptop.

    I also have a Win 7 Pro ISO that I burned from a file sent to me by MS Support years ago, which won't work for repair as it says not compatible with Win 7 Pro version on my laptop. Same thing with a retail Win 7 Pro install disk I bought 10 years ago to upgrade my Desktop from XP to 7. I have a Win Pro Full Version disk that I think came with a different laptop, but neither my built in nor my USB DVD burner will read it.

    Tried again with MCT, creating a different USB after doing Clean Boot, but I get the same result of Installation Failed.

    Where do i go from here, and thanks again for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T06:11:20+00:00

    Hi ,

    Well in the community we are here to help you and this other user is trying to help in another method you can initially follow his method then mine but be careful to redo the BCD boot if you do it wrong you can lose access to Windows so follow the instructions properly.

    Independent Advisor - Community
    Thanks

    I do understand and appreciate the help, but just am getting confused with 2 sets of instructions.

    As for your instruction, the DISM did not run, and you should see the message in the link to the screenshot I posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-18T05:59:01+00:00

    Hi ,

    Well in the community we are here to help you and this other user is trying to help in another method you can initially follow his method then mine but be careful to redo the BCD boot if you do it wrong you can lose access to Windows so follow the instructions properly.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-18T05:56:34+00:00

    ok, wait a minute...why are there 2 people giving me instructions? I cannot do two different tasks. I appreciate help, but which should I do first?

    do I create the ISO and follow those instructions, or do I follow instructions in that video to rebuild BCD?

    Ok, I'll let the advisor handle the issue.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-18T05:45:15+00:00

    ok, wait a minute...why are there 2 people giving me instructions? I cannot do two different tasks. I appreciate help, but which should I do first?

    do I create the ISO and follow those instructions, or do I follow instructions in that video to rebuild BCD?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments