Failed Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Anonymous
2024-12-17T18:00:46+00:00

I am attempting to do an in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. It goes through the process, then around 79% it jumps to "your PC will restart in a few moments" then without restarting it returns to my Win 7 desktop and has a gray box that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"

Things I have done to try and resolve, primarily from suggestions found in MS Forums and Tenforums for other people that had the same problem:

\*Uninstalled MSE and SuperAntiSpyware 

\*Disable Malwarebytes before each attempt 

\*Run Setup.exe as administrator 

\*run SFC /scannow and CHKDSK /f both returned no errors 

\*Regedit to delete entries to fix Win Update Service, then installed new updates that resulted after that, except MSE 

\*CleanBoot prior to install 

\*Tried both with and without checking for updates selected during install. 

All attempts result exactly the same way. Thanks in advance for help!

I tried to paste the setuperr.log but it's too many characters

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-17T23:49:48+00:00

    Hi ,

    How much free disk space do you have and if possible the motherboard model are there any space errors and intel chipset driver compatibility

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-17T22:19:14+00:00

    Please upload the setupact.log to OneDrive or Google Drive and post the link here for analysis.

    Thank you, Ivan. As I just mentioned above, One Drive does not want to cooperate with me.

    Here is the link to Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wxu2V74YwXLGg4QxGAgeKWhGzRgWjEiK/view?usp=sharing

    and also setuperr.log setuperr.log

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ivan B 124.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-12-17T21:55:27+00:00

    Hi ,

    I am Ivan, I will help you with this.

    Please upload the setupact.log to OneDrive or Google Drive and post the link here for analysis.

    Independent Advisor - Community

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-17T21:38:03+00:00

    As far as I know, my drivers are up to date. I also selected "Check for Updates" in the install process. Yes, I have a Win 10 license.

    I uploaded 2 files to OneDrive, which I rarely use. When I right-click and select Share, or highlight and click share from the menu across the top the screen grays out a bit and I get an endless spinning circle, that eventually just goes away. One Drive says I am almost out of storage. I deleted the 5 photos I had from 2005, but it says the same thing. I checked each folder and they are empty but for the 2 files I uploaded: setuperr.log and diagerr.xml.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-12-17T19:44:51+00:00

    You need to use OneDrive (or similar) and share a link to the log file saved there. It will help to determine the problem.

    Are all drivers up to date plus the motherboard bios from the manufacturers website.

    You are aware you will need a new licence for Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments