0xc1900101-0x30017 error when upgrading Windows 10 to 11 - ASUS Zenbook Flip S

Anonymous
2025-02-09T17:33:00+00:00

Been trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 for the past few days now with very little success. Whether I use the install assistant or a USB formatted by the Media Creation Tool, the installation process keeps throwing up the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and reverting back again. I've tried various solutions to fix this problem, from updating or installing whatever programs I felt might impact the installation to resetting the settings on my BIOS. I want to avoid having to do a clean install and wiping my laptop if possible.

I've also been running SetupDiag and seeing if I can make sense of the logs, but I'm unfortunately not at all knowledgeable in this field. I'll put a link to the log.zip file from my latest install attempt here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=Djyxoc 

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=DjyxocIf

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T22:43:59+00:00

The computer should boot to the desktop when performing an in place upgrade repair.

There is no boot to a flash drive for an in place upgrade repair.

Please see the tutorial links for mounting the iso.

See if there is something useful in this Asus video on IRST and VMD:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1044458/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-14T13:52:17+00:00

I have some great news; after some searching, I found out how to disable VMD on my computer and switch it from RAID to AHCI. I had to set the computer to Safe Boot before going into the BIOS to disable the VMD controller mode. When it booted up, it automatically installed a AHCI driver in place of the VMD-based driver that was controlling the storage drive, after which I disabled safe boot and it booted up normally. This was the guide I ended up following: https://superuser.com/a/1359471

The Windows 10 in-place upgrade went without a hitch, and so did the Windows 11 upgrade! The VMD controller turned out to be the culprit behind the boot drive not being detected during installation. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-10T09:26:44+00:00

    If the computer can boot to the desktop then please run the V2 log collector and post a share link into this thread using drop box, or google drive

    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com)

    BSOD - Posting Instructions | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Sumit 44,431 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-02-10T07:15:10+00:00

    Hello,

    No real help in the log files. I however see that the PC asked for a restart before Intel Audio driver installed. After the restart, the setup failed.

     inf:           Section Name = IntcAzAudModel.NTamd64 
    
     inf:           Hardware Id  = INTELAUDIO\FUNC\_01&VEN\_10EC&DEV\_0256&SUBSYS\_104317D2 
    
     inf:      {Configure Driver: exit(0x00000000)} 
    
     flq:      {FILE\_QUEUE\_COMMIT} 16:17:14.651
    

    Do you have a monitor or TV connected using HDMI cable?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Renzo 2,430 Reputation points
    2025-02-09T21:56:00+00:00

    Hello! My name is Renzo, I'm an independent advisor and a long-time Microsoft user. Let's work together and sort this out.

    "Inaccessible boot device" on Windows means your computer cannot access the partition where the operating system is stored, preventing it from booting properly; this error usually indicates a problem with your hard drive, its connections, or the system files responsible for booting up.

    Resetting the BIOS is one of the ways to resolve it. You can also repair any corrupted system files by following the steps below.

    1. Open Start, type: CMD
    2. Right click CMD
    3. Click Run as administrator
    4. Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    Run the System File Checker utility:

    1. Open Start, type: CMD
    2. Right click CMD
    3. Click Run as administrator
    4. Type in: sfc /SCANNOW
    5. Hit enter

    This will check for any integrity violations

    Restart your system once all commands are done.

    If this doesn't work, only option is for you to reinstall it through Clean installation. You can follow the steps in this link to do a Windows Clean Installation, you will need another working Windows device and a flash drive (8gb and above storage). https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rei...

    Under "Steps to reinstall Windows with media" click the drop down for clean install and follow the instructions from there.

    I hope the above steps helped you. In case of additional questions, reach out back to me, and I will be happy to help and try my best to resolve your issue. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments