0xc1900101-0x30017 error when upgrading Windows 10 to 11 - ASUS Zenbook Flip S

Anonymous
2025-02-09T17:33:00+00:00

Been trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 for the past few days now with very little success. Whether I use the install assistant or a USB formatted by the Media Creation Tool, the installation process keeps throwing up the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and reverting back again. I've tried various solutions to fix this problem, from updating or installing whatever programs I felt might impact the installation to resetting the settings on my BIOS. I want to avoid having to do a clean install and wiping my laptop if possible.

I've also been running SetupDiag and seeing if I can make sense of the logs, but I'm unfortunately not at all knowledgeable in this field. I'll put a link to the log.zip file from my latest install attempt here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=Djyxoc 

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=DjyxocIf

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T22:43:59+00:00

The computer should boot to the desktop when performing an in place upgrade repair.

There is no boot to a flash drive for an in place upgrade repair.

Please see the tutorial links for mounting the iso.

See if there is something useful in this Asus video on IRST and VMD:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1044458/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-14T13:52:17+00:00

I have some great news; after some searching, I found out how to disable VMD on my computer and switch it from RAID to AHCI. I had to set the computer to Safe Boot before going into the BIOS to disable the VMD controller mode. When it booted up, it automatically installed a AHCI driver in place of the VMD-based driver that was controlling the storage drive, after which I disabled safe boot and it booted up normally. This was the guide I ended up following: https://superuser.com/a/1359471

The Windows 10 in-place upgrade went without a hitch, and so did the Windows 11 upgrade! The VMD controller turned out to be the culprit behind the boot drive not being detected during installation. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T20:46:33+00:00

    These were some findings:

    The last BSOD was on 02/12/2024.

    There were no new unexpected shutdowns and restarts.

    Tuneup plus results were excellent.

    The Windows partition has substantial free space.

    The EFI partition has substantial free space.

    There are two recovery partitions 1.03 GB and 200MB.

    The recovery partitions reported disabled.

    fltmc results were not seen.

    1. Please open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    fltmc

    reagentc /info

    reagentc /enable

    reagentc /info

    Post a share link

    1. Download and install:

    Download Memory integrity system readiness scan tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

    AMD

    hvciscan_amd64.exe

    1. Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    cd /users /skele /downloads

    hvciscan_amd64.exe

    Post a share link

    1. Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    dism /online /get-drivers /format:table

    Post a share link

    1. Open Disk management > widen rows and columns > post a share link

    How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management | Tutorials

    Post a share link

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T19:13:16+00:00

    Alright, I've followed the steps (I had already posted the log collector file from my last crash, but I ran it again anyway in case something has changed since). To potentially save on having to post multiple links, I made a folder for these new files and will share the link to the folder itself for you to browse:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/5n2r2ihy74d3w1qoxgri5/AOSOPQCsnICAxc9Kjix7-WA?rlkey=u3iqnudurxoi80i1p8rw7kjlc&st=gui7moni&dl=0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T18:37:56+00:00

    Please post new log files:

    1. Please run the V2 log collector and post a share link into this thread using drop box, or google drive

    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

    BSOD - Posting Instructions | Windows 11 Forum (elevenforum.com)

    1. Run Tuneup plus > post a share link

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...-files-use-bsod-debugging-tuneup_plus_log.bat

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging - Windows 10 Forums

    1. Run

    Download WhyNotWin11 - MajorGeeks

    Post a share link.

    1. Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

    reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\TargetVersionUpgradeExperienceIndicators" /s

    Post a share link.

    1. Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:

    fltmc

    mountvol Y: /s

    dir Y:\ /s /a >c:\dir.txt

    Post a share link.

    For share links please use drop box or google drive.

    Make sure that links are available without sign in.

    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments